Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Was driving just fine and dandy down the road, went to shift gears, and the truck now acts like it is in neutral even though it is in gear. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Reverse all the same.
-The gear shift will go "in to" gear fine but nothing happens when I release the clutch.
-Clutch feels fine. Same resistance as before.
-No noise preceded this, and no noise out of the ordinary nowe.
-There is an overdrive installed, it seems fine.
-Red hi/low lever seems fine.
-Yellow lever is fine.

Seems as though all has suddenly been put in to neutral, like when you move the hi/low red lever to neutral, and the overdrive to neutral, and the main gear lever to neutral.

200tdi Defender engine in a 62 Series iia 109 truck.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,047 Posts
First suspect is the rear axle. Try 4wd or look under and see if the rear drive shaft is spinning when you try and move in 2wd.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks for the info guys, will be taking a gander at it in the morning. Really has me stumped since I didn't hear anything funky. Wasn't under any load either, maybe doing 35mph at most.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info guys, will be taking a gander at it in the morning. Really has me stumped since I didn't hear anything funky. Wasn't under any load either, maybe doing 35mph at most.
Most series axle shaft failures happen while pulling out of parking lots

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes! That puts a different perspective on things, Zack. Thanks for the heads up. Heading out in the rain to check all this out, will be posting an update.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
No.
You need to shift the transfer case back into high range 2WD.
This was my first thought too. Same deal happened to me driving down I-5. I pulled over expecting something awful, but all that happened was that the hi/low shifter slipped into neutral. That was years ago before I swapped for a 200TDi. It's only happened to me that one time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was my first thought too. Same deal happened to me driving down I-5. I pulled over expecting something awful, but all that happened was that the hi/low shifter slipped into neutral. That was years ago before I swapped for a 200TDi. It's only happened to me that one time.
Hey East High, appreciate your post. What there anything special to make that happen? I've tried it but doesn't seem to make a difference. Feel like I'm missing something simple, and it's starting to drive me nuts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, while looking down and in to the transmission tunnel, towards the engine, noticed a wire coming from behind where the gear shift goes in to the transmission. It has two wires actually. Could this possibly be related to this crazy issue I've found myself wrapped around? Thanks for taking the time guys, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
What did you try? What happened when you tried it?
I am of the opinion that the series transfer case slipped out of gear and you need to put it back in 2WD high range. If the vehicle doesn't move in 2WD, then try 4WD and if it moves, then you do have a broken half shaft.
The 2 wires are likely for reverse lamp(s).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What did you try? What happened when you tried it?
I am of the opinion that the series transfer case slipped out of gear and you need to put it back in 2WD high range. If the vehicle doesn't move in 2WD, then try 4WD and if it moves, then you do have a broken half shaft.
The 2 wires are likely for reverse lamp(s).
Apologies for the late reply... Checked everything I knew, or leathered to check through YouTube University. Mainly Land Rover Toolbox Videos/Trailer Fitters. Here’s what I’ve done:
-Feel and listen, clutch resistance, gearshift behavior, etc. All seems just as before.

-Jacked up the rear end, did the tie spin test, left-right-driveshaft-etc. all checked out 5x5.

-Pulled the inspection(?) plates off the top of the overdrive and transfer case, and all is moving and checked out 5x5.

-Removed dust cover at front of transfer case, cleaned but barely any grime.

-Neither the rear or front output shafts turn when car is running, nor while shifting gears.

-Can shift in and out of gear, car running, without clutch, no love.

-Hi/low selector engaged or disengaged, car running, no love.

-4wd yellow selector will not stay in the down position. Car running, Held it down while selecting hi/low, no love.

Thoughts? Is there something I’m missing? Some trick to get transfer case back in to gear?

Also, noticed a spring loaded bolt on top of the transfer case. What’s that for? Couldn’t find any mention of it in the green bible.

Thanks for you time.

·
Super Moderator
12,047 Posts
Something broken in the gearbox or transfer case. Pull it apart.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something broken in the gearbox or transfer case. Pull it apart.
Yea, have been worried that may be the direction needed. Any idea what the spring loaded bolt is on top of the transfer case? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
Based on the OPs information presented in Post 13, the transfer box is engaged in gear along with the transmission and the vehicle is not moving.
In my opinion FRM, you need to take your vehicle to someone who is much better versed in Series Land Rovers to determine exactly what the issue is and how to fix it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Based on the OPs information presented in Post 13, the transfer box is engaged in gear along with the transmission and the vehicle is not moving.
In my opinion FRM, you need to take your vehicle to someone who is much better versed in Series Land Rovers to determine exactly what the issue is and how to fix it.
Yea, solid advice. Thanks for your time and comments on this, appreciate you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As stated, broken rear axle, also could have sheered the coupler to the overdrive (people keep the stock gear in the truck in case it happens).
Hey evilfij, what would I look for to verify a sheered coupler to the overdrive? I've got all the inspection top plates off (gearbox, overdrive, transfer case). None of the gears are moving, regardless of what I do. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
There is a weak final drive gear on the Fairey unit that slides on splines.
When the splines are gone, it will give you the symptoms you described without making much noise. Should have thought about that earlier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts