Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey geniuses....need some help.

You may/may not know - I blew 5th gear in my Defender LT77 - so Newman sold me one, and it came out of a Tithonus truck (Raub's one). And the LT77 came with the TC on it too.

Sooooooo - seems it would be easier to remove the whole TC and Tranny in my D, and replace it all in one swap...right?

But the problem/question is - what freaking LT230 do I have currently? Is it superior? I went hunting for serial numbers on it and came up empty...except for this one on the back where you would normally find the ratio sticker (which is non existent too)

Can anyone help?
These three pics are of the rear of the LT230 on the truck currently - last pic shows where the serial number should be!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here are the pics of the unit Newman gave me...yes Rick & Raub - much cleaner today! :)

As you can see the TC on the tranny is a 1.667 ratio - I think this is a pretty good one, but if the one on the truck has a date stamp of 12/10/94 seems like it was rebuilt later...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
13,822 Posts
DO NOT put that tcase in your truck Jonesy. As you know Rick picked that up from me. There is nothing wrong with it but its a 1.66 tcase. Not a an acceptable combo with your tdi. Swapping the transfer cases while on the floor should take less than an hour. Make sure you put the bolts back in the same spots as the front ones are very important to get right. The military box also has a completely different shifter linkage and I had to rougue stuff off other setups in my shop to get Raub on the road.

Re-use your 1.4. Pull the rear access plate (round one) and you can pull the input gear out. If the center hub of that gear has holes in it so oil can get onto the shaft splines you are golden. If not, count the spline no and get a cross drilled gear from Dave Ashcroft and you will be golden.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK - good to know Doug. Thanks man.

I was hoping to get this done in a day - I guess I better hold out hope for a cross drilled input gear. I emailed Dave to see if he knew anything about the TC in it...those numbers are weird. But it does correspond to the date that NENE Overland had the truck - I am hoping it was a rebuilt unit by Ashcroft.

·
Premium Member
13,822 Posts
pull the cover and slide the gear out and look @ it while its still in the truck before you do anything else. Should take 20 mins to know.
94 was the cusp year for the cross drilled gear

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HHAHAHAHA....as a testiment to Douglas Crowther's import prowess...

I went through the boat load of receipts that came with the truck when imported...good news is the TC has a cross drilled input gear put into it in 2001. Interestingly the LT77 was reconditioned by Ashcroft in 2004 - I am going to check and see what can be done.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,094 Posts
What engine and what suffix gearbox are being used? A TDI and an earlier LT77 is a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
yep LT77 and 200TDi - & gearbox numbers - this data plate was on it.

Interestingly, I thought that Ashcroft stamp a rebuild # over the serial #

NOTE - This is the one I got from Rick and will be replacing the one in mine

John are you saying that it is a bad idea because it is an earlier one and apparently weaker?

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Jonesy, I'll do you a favor and some haul away that useless lump of a 1.677 for you to make some space. Or just leave it here when we do the swap. When are we doing this swap btw?

·
Super Moderator
13,094 Posts
Okay. You have a D box. Not strong enough for a 200tdi. You want a G or H box. Maybe an F. A D will die again in short order.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Just learned a lot...thanks guys. I gave the whole mess....dirt and all....to him in case there where parts needed. I will take the tcase back....seeing that is handles all the monster HP the 2.5 makes....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts