Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to install a wiring kit on the 110 to pull a pop up. I feel like this should be rather simple and I'd rather not pay someone to do this. The 90 has it installed and when I look at it the wires run from the plug up towards the passenger side rear lights but then another set of wires appear to run forward. Not sure where they are headed.

Does anyone have photos of installing something like this? When I look online I get all the newer Rovers but not a 110 or a 90. Where do you tie in with the wires? What is the easiest kit to install for basic towing needs?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Super Moderator
13,094 Posts
Just buy a trailer plug that matches the trailer and install it. You need the conversion box to join the brake lights and turn signals. All the stuff is available at every auto parts store in the world. You may need a brake controller as well if the trailer has brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I don't have a picture handy but bought a converter for about $25-30 at Tractor Supplies (or Walmart????). It was for a Ford or Chevy truck. The input was clearly labelled (brake light, headlights, reverse light, ground) and the output was what I was looking for (I.e. 4 pin standard small trailer plug).
The only part I am missing right now is the plug that will plug to the plug of my std wiring harness on the 90 (round plug) because I'd prefer to keep the it intact.
On the Disco, I was ready to just cut off the standard plug and put another style more readily available.
Since I do not have the wiring scheme/color codes, I was planning on simply figuring it out with a volt meter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If the round plug on the 90 is the same as the disco one, AB (or whatever they're called now--I guess they merged with British Pacific in my roverless decade) has a convertor that's super-simple--round 7 pin plug on one end and the flat four-pin on the other.
It's a bit expensive, but after looking for something similar and ending up with something very much not similar arriving on the porch, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts