Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I have the standard Traeger Smoker and love it.

As far as the Timberline goes, I don't have WiFi in my cars and don't want it in my smoker.

Traeger products are high quality though spendy.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I have a traeger and use it all the time.

The 3-2-1 methods for ribs is about as easy as ribs get. For the unfamiliar apply rub and smoke for 3 hours, cover in foil, add moisture (beer, apple juice) and cook at 225 for 2 hours. Uncover, apply BBQ sauce and cook for 1 hour.

Things to think about when buying a traeger - grill size (how many people will you be cooking for regularly) and hopper size (are you going to slow cook brisket for 20 hours? if so you need a big ass hopper)

the wifi connectivity and all that is cool but there are peripherals you can buy for the regular traegers that will get you want you want and keep $5-600 in your pocket or in your truck.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Think of Traeger as a Ford F-150: it gets the job done.

If you would rather an ECR-rebuilt NAS 110 Defender however - go look at the Komodo Kamado: https://komodokamado.com/collections/23-ultimate-grill

Had mine for almost 12 years - looks and performs like it did on day-1.

You can run her low-and-slow at 200f (or lower) for several days on a single basket of coal. Or crank the dome up to 900f for a 1400f sear grate*. Great for searing steaks, which the Traeger isn't so hot at. Other downside I found with the Traeger is the pellets get expensive for long cooks.

* approved max - although I usually find searing around 650f is plenty good enough.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Had a Traeger but sold it to buy a Big Green Egg. Traeger was ok but I like cooking over charcol and the Egg is solid!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts