Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the line up shop today to try and determine why the Rover won't drive straight down the road without constant input changes from me. Scary at higher speeds.

They said my track bar bushings are bad.

Anyone have a part number? I can find track bars but not bushing.

Anthony

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
If by Track Bar, you referring to the Drag Link? (Behind axle). If so, ya need a couple Tie Rod Ends/Ball Joints. I dont know if ROW/RHD plays a factor but my NAS required 1x RTC5869 (Right Hand Thread) and 1x RTC5870 (Left Hand Thread). Really a good time to upgrade to HD links.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If by Track Bar, you referring to the Drag Link? (Behind axle). If so, ya need a couple Tie Rod Ends/Ball Joints. I dont know if ROW/RHD plays a factor but my NAS required 1x RTC5869 (Right Hand Thread) and 1x RTC5870 (Left Hand Thread). Really a good time to upgrade to HD links.
No he pointed to the bar in front on the axle.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
No he pointed to the bar in front on the axle.
Panhard rod?

Does it connect to the frame on one end and the axle at the other end?

If so, that would definitely account for squirrely driving conditions.

edit:: your profile says LR3 which would probably be bad lower control arms or somesuch...

What vehicle are we discussing here?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Ahh, wish I would have seen this yesterday Anthony. Yes Jeff, it was the panhard they were referring to.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I replaced bushings in my '99 DI with the rubber stock replacements (Britpart?). One bushing lasted less than 6 months and about 200 miles when it disintegrated. I incurred the infamous death wobble. I purchased orange polys from [email protected]. The swap was easy and the steering firmed right up. I'll never put rubber back in there again.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Which is why you shouldn't use aftermarket panhard rod bushings, that has happened to a lot of people. Polys will fail as well, but in a much more spectacular way

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Which is why you shouldn't use aftermarket panhard rod bushings, that has happened to a lot of people. Polys will fail as well, but in a much more spectacular way
^ that may be true but I can run poly for the same cost. The problem with poly is most do not spray with lubricant after initial installation. Thousands of LRs have been on the road for many years before the stock rubber bushings failed which speaks volumes for the overall quality and longevity. I can also state that the polys add a bit of firmness to the steering wheel IMHO. Plus, if you carry a spare pair they can be swapped out on the trail or highway with minimal effort. I've run poly is several vehicles, both street and offroad, the only failure I experienced was on my '71 IIA with parabolics at the rear of the DS front spring. That happened after many miles and severe trashing off road. So much so that chassis was cracking from torsional stressing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Zak has solved the issue and I will have new bushings in a few days.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Anthony

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
That would likely be the only reason I'd run poly, is how amazingly easy it is to install them. It is nice to be able to have a spare for the trails without needing a press.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Was there not a bad run of Gen-yoo-whine rubber bushings as well?
I seem to remember that.

Potentially yeah, nothing I remember or have personally experienced. But I do know there have been various issues with sizing in the past

1 - 12 of 12 Posts