Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title Company Setup

does anyone know of companies that help setup title companies for registering your defender? Nevada would be preferable but i'm open to other states??? I'm currently in California and need some help here!

Bart

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I have a few buddies with super cars who set up Wyoming and Montana LLC's and registered the cars there. No emissions, no sales tax, lifetime plate registration and lower insurance.
The vehicle never needs to go to the state.
There are a few places that do it all for you you can find with a quick search.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
No, they send it in the mail to your home address.

Get a title with a Vermont Registration - Chin on the Tank – Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts in Philadelphia

The above is several more steps to actually get a title in a different state using a bill of sale and an initial VT registration, but the first few steps explain the registration process. Works well.
Yeah, that's one of the sites I've read. I researched this a decent amount and I called vt DMV to confirm they were ok with the reg to an out of state address. For anyone intending to keep the vt reg, I know that CT associates this with tax evasion for a resident to be driving an out of state registered vehicle in their name in the state of CT, so just look into your local laws, if you intend to not switch it to local reg.

If anyone was wondering why ct says it's tax evasion it's because we have a yearly assesement tax on personal property, so we have to pay tax on each of our vehicles each year!

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
If anyone was wondering why ct says it's tax evasion it's because we have a yearly assesement tax on personal property, so we have to pay tax on each of our vehicles each year!
Virginia has the same property tax, and I assume they would consider this tax evasion as well (and this is usually why someone would do this). I have been threatening to register my cars in Florida for years to save a few thousand in property taxes each year, but have never bothered. That and I don't want to be accused of tax evasion :grin

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I don't know about state laws, but hasn't the IRS published statements to the effect of "do whatever you can within the limits of the law to minimize your tax liability". I guess if a state has that "must register a vehicle in state if it you plan on staying here longer than xx days" law then I guess you'd have to register it locally. I really would have liked to keep my Alabama registration going.

·
Premium Member
10,771 Posts
Military often register in one state and leave it registered there regardless of where they are stationed.
Titling is one thing, insuring is another.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
The military has (or had) the concept of a home state, and you could legally keep your cars registered in that state regardless of where you were stationed.

I'm pretty sure Virginia (and at least my county) has laws stating you have to register your car where you live within XX days.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
does anyone know of companies that help setup title companies for registering your defender? Nevada would be preferable but i'm open to other states??? I'm currently in California and need some help here! Bart
Montana LLC. Google it.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
this is the way I did it when I had my trucking business, leased a p.o box under the co's name in another state, then registered the co. and all it's assets to that p.o. while I was listed as V.P. at my home state.
anything related to business went to p.o.
when the business ended so did the lease to the p.o box. just don't list your self on the out of state registration but rather list the business as owner.... you're simply the driver.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Warning thus may be a little boring. Very few things in life are free and easy. Something that should be considered is how registering a vehicle in another state plays re legal domicile. Note, I'm not saying it is a deal killer. Everyone's facts and circumstances are different so it depends on an analysis of the facts. Legal domicile in a state can often equate to tax liabilities in the future on deferred compensation to that state (401k, pensions, other retirement income). I have seen executives totally screw up their estate planning by tripping domicile in a state that his advisors were not privy of. This wasn't as big a deal years ago but states have found sharing data is mutually beneficial and relatively cheap to manage.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Yea I recently read an article about a a TX couple who worked overseas and had a rental property in MT that they planned to retire to. He ended up buying an in state hunting license and when the state saw he had vehicles registered there and registered to vote, etc. he got burned by state income tax on his overseas work for the period the state considered him a resident. So this is a little different and not as in depth, but still an interesting story.

Also for Nevada, all out of state purchases require a physical VIN inspection. So that would mean a trip to Reno for ya.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
This would be a great test of the SCOTUS ruling saying that all States have to recognize marriage licenses from other States (I'm not trying to start a gay marriage debate). Marriage license, auto license, drivers license, CC license, contractors license, realtors license, what is the difference?

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
This would be a great test of the SCOTUS ruling saying that all States have to recognize marriage licenses from other States (I'm not trying to start a gay marriage debate). Marriage license, auto license, drivers license, CC license, contractors license, realtors license, what is the difference?

Transtestickle marriage is federally recognised now whereas non federal licences are left upto the states.
An example is the construction and building codes difference from state to state requiring different licences.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Virginia has the same property tax, and I assume they would consider this tax evasion as well (and this is usually why someone would do this). I have been threatening to register my cars in Florida for years to save a few thousand in property taxes each year, but have never bothered. That and I don't want to be accused of tax evasion :grin
For import and series trucks it doesn't matter, the vehicles over 25 years old are only required to pay tax on a maximum value of $500, so I think I pay $13 a year for tax on my series :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts