Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to buy new tires for my stock 90. Currently have 265-75-16 BFG MT's. Was considering upgrading to either 285-75-16 or 255-85-16 MT's. Is this a good idea? Are there any issues, problems, concerns, etc. to consider?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Kieth,
I have 285 75 16 on my stock 90 and there is some rubbing on hard turns. Icould adjust my stops but instead Im putting a 2"lift.

·
Premium Member
7,832 Posts
Hey Keith what color is your D-90? I think you may notice some marginal performance with the larger tires. 285 can be done with no lift and perhaps minimal rubbing. CVC had this sixe once on his 90 with no lift if I may recall??

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My D-90 is Portofino Red. Thanks for the help. Think I might stick to the 265-75-16 BFG MT's for now. Might consider a lift for bigger tires someday in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I had 285/75 BFG MTs with the stock lifts for a little while on our D90. The steering stops had been adjusted so the only issue we had was a little bit of rubbing under articulation of the tire with the wheel arch.

Its definatly do-able.

CVC

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
TrXus 285/75s barely rub at all with stock springs - only if you really are on full lock, and they will touch the rear arch at full articulation - but an issue as they are rubber of course. These tires may be a little bit undersized for their spec.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
chrisvonc said:
I had 285/75 BFG MTs with the stock lifts for a little while on our D90. The steering stops had been adjusted so the only issue we had was a little bit of rubbing under articulation of the tire with the wheel arch.

Its definatly do-able.

CVC
Hey Chris,

I saw this old post... do you still have 285/75/16s?--if not any old pics? I am dying to see what they look like on the stock rims and stock suspension... Any info would be great, I am trying to determine the least expensive way to get 285/75s, and still maintain street peformance as my 90 is my daily driver. Leaving the suspension as it is would work if I ajdust the stops I guess. But if I need to upgrade the suspension I want to keep it as mild as possible. Let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks!

Paul

-----SORRY, meant to sent this as a PM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts