Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. so I decided to clean up the prior post and repost. This carrier uses the stock upper and lower hinge mounts from a ST and also will use the swing away bar from a ST and come in a semi gloss black powder coat. It holds a spare, two gas cans or cooler and a highlift jack

Also you don't have to use the rack in a "swingaway with the door" configuration but rather unattached if so desired to the rear door.

I recommend all who purchase this to use the latch to crossmember fitting.

So what does the kit include - Full kit will be:
1 rear tire carrier

3 new nuts for aftermarket wheels or early RR classic nuts to hold the spare on to the tire carrier

1 upper rear mount with 1 shoulder bolt and nut and 4 SS bolts, nuts and washer to mount to upper capping

1 lower rear mount with 1 shoulder bolt and nut and bolt 2 tub bolts and nuts and SS long bolt through the crossmember.

1 cross member mount and 2 bolts, nuts and washers

1 shoulder bolt should you want to use your existing swing away arm

1 latch for the cross member mount and SS hardware (4 bolts and washer)

2 stainless steel wingnuts, washers and lockwasher for the highlift jack

Price $600 plus shipping $125 Shipping CONUS.

Please remember these are sold as is. These are made by a professional fab shop that does a ton of racing Toyota stuff and are extremely sturdy. Does NOT come with a strap for the jerry cans or whatever else you decide to put on the tray.

Pictures are of one of the carrier on my truck and it is using the small swing away arm to move the carrier away from the door when open on some of the shots.

The hardest part of the mounting is getting the swingaway small arm to work as you have, the door, the carrier and the swingaway mount to all get in unison. None of the NAS mounts are exactly the same as I had slightly different bolt patters on my stock swing away spare parts but I was able to make them work and the rack will swingaway with my rear door.
Please PM me if you are interested.

Coming soon with be a kit that includes a door mount and a pivot arm for the rack if someone needs those parts.

This will fit either a ST or a HT, 90 or 110 or possibly series. It will also clear the ladder on the ST/HT roof racks.

Pic of the carrier with the door fully open. If used with the swingaway arm from a stock carrier there is a stopper on the swing away mechanism so the door doesn't hit the carrier.

If not using the swing away, the bottom mount will stop the dorr from going past being parallel to the truck's side

Pic of the adjustable crossmember stop as this will prevent the rack from wabbling around while you are driving and it keeps the rack nice and snug to the crossmember.

I may considering delivering and helping with the install if you are in the greater San Diego, OC or L.A. area.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Comment from Dave Hazard on his rack. - One more picture with the tire and jerry cans on. The tire is a 35" Baja Claw on a steel beadlock wheel, so very large and heavy. The carrier is very sturdy.

My angle is bad on the picture, the tire does not cover the passenger side lights

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ireCarrier.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics from 97 HT

Pics from Shannon's 97 HT with the roof rack. Carrier clears the the ladder for the rack and he is running a 265/75/17 on the truck. For this one we had to shave some of the plastic off of the light plinth for fitment right in the corner of the lower mount. All Defenders are not made the same :).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 3 carriers left for sale. I won't be producing them again unless I get prepayments for a minimum of 5, so you may not want to wait. Also for SoCal folks I may head up to Cars and Coffee on the 14th where you can pick up the carriers or just check out the construction of the carrier - this is dependent upon anyone going. Thanks to all of you who have purchased the racks.
Clay

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Clay!

I sent you an email via Fleabay, and will also hit you here with a PM.

Murph

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Clay,

I tried to PM you, but I guess your mailbox is full. I'll take the tire carrier. I'm not sure my little Yeti full of beer will fit on the platform, but these things are so hard to find for Rovers. PM me with paypal details and we will get this thing rolling. Thanks.

-Liam

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
carrier

Todd,
I will save you one.
Clay

------ Follow up post added July 17th, 2012 11:57 PM ------

I have 1 (one) carrier left for sale. Thanks to everyone who purchased them!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tire Carriers are sold out! Thanks Paul. I will be taking orders for the next round if anyone is interested.
Clay

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Finally had the time to get my tire carrier installed. I am really impressed with this upgrade. Clay did an excellent job making these and bringing these to the forum.
Even with my limited wrenching abilities, this was an easy upgrade to complete.

image-2671425001.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am taking orders for the next round so if you would like one please PM me for deposit detail. The next ones will have a slightly higher tire mount but the same basic design. I welcome feedback from any of the purchasers to let me know what they think and how to improve on the design.
Clay
Note - I do have some feedback on a purchaser of one for a 97. He brake light bar comes out at a more prominant 90 degree then the stock light bar used in the design. I believe he will post pics of it.
Clay

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Same price $600 for the carrier flat $125 for shipping. I am going to get another batch of 10 made up.
If any of the previous buyers would like to chime in on the design please feel free. Lbowlers had a hell of a time as my design did not account for the difference in the 1997 3rd brake light bar. Also, I need the shop to take into consideration the thickness added by the black powder coat.
Clay

1 - 20 of 260 Posts