Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -

So I went to set the timing on my 94 D90 ST and was a bit confused. The manual says set the timing at 6 degrees BTDC. I located the markings on the harmonic balancer but am not sure how to decipher it. The marks show TDC and then there are five hash marks on with side with the two end points stamps "1/2"... one before TDC and the other after TDC. How do you translate that into degrees? When I put the timing light on my engine is actually way before the final 1/2 BTDC mark.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,155 Posts
Did you first set static timing to TDC? Do that then set the timing using the light with the engine running, vacuum advance disconnected.
I find it helps to put a dab of white paint on both the TDC Mark and the 6 degree mark.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Bill. That all makes sense to me and I did use the white paint trick. The challenge for me is figuring out which mark is six degrees. My markings show TDC then four hash marks on either side of TDC with the two outer hash marks marked "1/2". Nothing says 6 degrees. Is there some conversion I need to do?

·
Premium Member
7,155 Posts
There should be a clearly marked "BEFORE" and "AFTER" somewhere on the pulley. If I am not mistaken the hash marks are at 12 degrees, not 1/2. So somewhere right in between the outermost and zero you'll find 6 degrees.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As you are looking down on the balancer from the front of the Landy, to the right is BTDC and left is ATDC. Each hash mark is 3 degrees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts