Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: Driving around on freeway. Hear a sudden but continuous "bang bang bang" coming from engine bay. About to pull over and BOOM!...One big final bang and HUGE plume of black smoke blew out the tailpipe (sorry to all the drivers behind me). Get it pulled over. Nothing obvious from the outside and the engine seems to be running fine now although it does feel a bit off and it sounds like puffs of air escaping from somewhere in the engine bay. Limped it home on the back roads.

Get home and determined the puffs of air were coming out between an injector and the seat/cylinder head. Injector is covered in soot so I decide to pull the head off and discovered some very odd damage on top of one of the pistons. Upon further inspection I determined that the shroud piece and one of the two washers under the injector must have broken off somehow and got sucked into the piston where the piston made short work of the debris and must have eventually pushed it out the exhaust manifold.

I have a new shroud/washers on order but I'm wondering how significant the damage to the piston head is? Looks banged up but I don't see any cracks in the piston or the wall from what I can tell. Think its worth a try and run it as is as? Also, I found some damage to the cylinder head on the adjacent cylinder. Looks like a couple of big pits and small scrape on the valve (shown in last pic).

I would love everyones opinion on this. Keep in mind its a 2.5TD that I intend to toss in the garbage some day when I can make the move on a OM606 swap. So I just need this to run decent for the next year or so.

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
It's a boat anchor now.

Needs at minimum all pushrods checked, that one valve replaced, head skim, new piston on that cyl #3 and possibly #4 because somehow it looks worse ? , hone cyls you replace the pistons , a new Injector, new hg.

All that is juuuuust the absolute minimum to get it running again if it didn't bend a rod when you smashed that Injector to bits.

So prob $2-500 in machine work alone plus parts

Or

Put an Injector in it , file those spots flat on the head , and test that one valve with a Nick in it and pray.

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
I've been through this and it sucks , good luck .

If you want a a rebuildable core 200 longblock I have one for you for next to nothing . Needs timing case

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
if truly plan to replace engine soon, do the head work inspect piston top very closely. if no cracks ride let the piston ride. I have seen worse damage on good running engines.
be honest with your self during inspection. otherwise you may end up doing a complete overhaul on something you don't want to keep for too long.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Take a look at all the push rods for sure, replace that dinged valve, skim the head and call it good. Before you reinstall the head take a good look at the injector seating surface...there was a thread going last summer where the injector seating surface was damaged allowing the sealing washer to fall through into the cylinder. I forget the whole scenario, I'll look back to confirm the issue.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
The damage is inside the firing rings on the block and the head. No point in wasting $$$/time on machine work. Clean both surfaces really well and put a straight edge on them and if they are within spec...if so then bolt it back together. I've seen these run forever in much worse shape. Especially if you are just trying to buy some time on this lump.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Take a look at all the push rods for sure, replace that dinged valve, skim the head and call it good. Before you reinstall the head take a good look at the injector seating surface...there was a thread going last summer where the injector seating surface was damaged allowing the sealing washer to fall through into the cylinder. I forget the whole scenario, I'll look back to confirm the issue.
Here's the link to an old thread concerning injector sealing washers falling into the cylinder.

In this case the injector shrouds (ERC9501) were missing which allowed the sealing washer to fall into the cylinder. Are the injector shrouds visible?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all - good advice all around and I tend to think I can repair missing/broken parts and limp this hunk of junk for a another year or so. Push rods all look good except I think I bent one myself when I lifted out the head (I have a few on order to replace the bent one and to have a couple extra).

Parrie - The shroud was missing in the problem cylinder along with the domed washer which lead me to believe that it was broke loose and banged around on top of the piston creating the piston head damage. All other injectors had a shroud, domed washer, and copper washer. I do have new washers and a shroud on order however I'm nervous about refitting the new shroud because what's to stop it from popping out again? Seems like you have to just shove it up there and hope its tight enough to not drop out again...but I suppose I don't have much of a choice.

Curiously I stumbled upon your referenced thread when I was researching this which helped me understand how the shroud will go back in.

I don't suppose anyone has a good link to a piston replacement tutorial/video? I doubt I'll go that route, but would be curious to know how involved it is.

Here's the link to an old thread concerning injector sealing washers falling into the cylinder.

In this case the injector shrouds (ERC9501) were missing which allowed the sealing washer to fall into the cylinder. Are the injector shrouds visible?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Good luck w/ the repair. I believe one of the last posts in that thread detail how to install the shroud. Try You Tube for piston replacement video. PIA with the motor in the truck but not impossible. Just FYI I have a spare 2.5 head that came off a running '89 truck if you get in a bind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts