Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've been running a bikini top since I've bought my D90 and have been on the fence about a full top for several months now. From what I gather Badger Coachworks is the way to go. Honestly, at this point the turn around time is what's holding me back from pulling the trigger. I've seen the tops offered up at Rovers North. The sand color definitely appeals to me and the price seems alright. I'm sure the quality is not quite as up there with the Badger, but it is a bit cheaper and would reach me in Hawaii a hell of a lot faster. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Fit and durability wise? I've done some searching and haven't found any reviews online. Would love to hear from anyone with experience with a RN top.

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
Hey guys,
I've been running a bikini top since I've bought my D90 and have been on the fence about a full top for several months now. From what I gather Badger Coachworks is the way to go. Honestly, at this point the turn around time is what's holding me back from pulling the trigger. I've seen the tops offered up at Rovers North. The sand color definitely appeals to me and the price seems alright. I'm sure the quality is not quite as up there with the Badger, but it is a bit cheaper and would reach me in Hawaii a hell of a lot faster. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Fit and durability wise? I've done some searching and haven't found any reviews online. Would love to hear from anyone with experience with a RN top.
I have had 3 different RN tops

First was the original RN Top made by Badger

The second and Third , by the new company in Colorado

I know many people in here will tell you Badger is the way to go, unmatched quality , RN top cant compare and they are Full of Doo Doo

The RN top lacks nothing that the badger has.

Easy fit right of the box, excellent finish, water tight , noiseless, and as a BONUS, not bullshit stories when you are getting, no excuses, etc; you order it today, you know exactly when you get it

Good Luck with your decision

·
Premium Member
15,108 Posts
It does not fit as well as the badger (too loose) and the one I have has a couple of minor defects (things sewn that should not have been). Is badger better: yes. Is RN bad, not at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Bimini top from RN and just purchased a Badget GKII. I ordered the RN full soft top and immediately sent it back. Loose fit, ripples along the top. The Bimini is fine for what I need it for: shade. However, at highway speeds, it looks and sounds like the darn thing is going to fly off (a result of the loose fitment).

I live in Michigan and just ordered a Badger for the non-summer months. if you don't need to keep the cold and rain out, then you should be fine with a RN Bimini top.

Edit: Okay - re-read your post. The RN top will work, but it's not near the quality of a Badger. It's taken me 3 years to pony up for the Badger and buying a RN to realize the difference.

·
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
16,553 Posts
I have a Bimini top from RN and just purchased a Badger GKII. I ordered the RN full soft top and immediately sent it back. Loose fit, ripples along the top. The Bimini is fine for what I need it for: shade. However, at highway speeds, it looks and sounds like the darn thing is going to fly off (a result of the loose fitment).

I live in Michigan and just ordered a Badger for the non-summer months. if you don't need to keep the cold and rain out, then you should be fine with a RN Bimini top.
Do you have an alpine bow installed? If not, then you'll have issues with either top.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
That's very surprising to me... I haven't heard that before. Sorry! Do you have photos of it installed?

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Just put one on yesterday. Noticed what might be an adhesive at the zippers moving as the very tight zippers were pulled into position.
How come neither Badger or RN has sewn-in tabs/loops to assist in pulling the top down to engage the lower rail at the tub? Maybe it's my old age, but I find it a struggle out of the box or years down the road.
The last Badger rear took a really, really long time and the rear window was too short. Had to get the local upholsterer to sew in an extension to be able to deliver the car to the customer. I'm sure Chris would have taken care of it if I had brought it too his attention, but after having waited sooooo very long for the top in the first place.......
The last 2 RN tops have been good enough to make my customer's happy. Was there ever a water tight D90 ST?

·
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
16,553 Posts
I don't think you ever want to put much tension on those zippers. What I do is once I have the top on over the cage and before moving on to securing into the beltrail I zip in the top horizontals of all of the windows and maybe two inches or so of the vertical zippers for the rear-most window. Then I zip them all down and then secure to the beltrail. Or at least I think that's how I do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys,
Reviving my own dead post to close the circuit. I ended up purchasing the full soft top from Rovers North in sand. Fitting it was a two person job. Wasn't difficult, but did need to stretch it on there a little. This is a plus to me as the fit is very snug. Material is of great quality and color has not faded since I installed it about a year ago. Having it out in the rain a few times and have not noticed any significant water seepage or leaks. It'll never be a hardtop like what I have on my SW, but no complaints whatsoever on it's performance. For resale value reasons, I probably should have gone with the black to match the factory look, but I have always loved the idea of sand colored canvas on the aged alpine white on my Defender. If anyone has hesitations about purchasing a similar top from Rovers North, rest assured that it's a solid choice. Badger tops we all know to be the pinnacle best, but for the price point, and wait time, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
RIP RN softtops. They will be no more soon, our supplier has decided they're not worth making any longer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RIP RN softtops. They will be no more soon, our supplier has decided they're not worth making any longer.
I'm just making the connection now that you must be the same Zack at Rovers North!
You've helped me on a lot of orders. I'm the guy at the car dealership in Hawaii on Oahu. Good to find you here! Thanks for always taking good care of us. Sorry to hear about the soft tops going out of stock for good soon. Glad I bought mine when I did.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I'm just making the connection now that you must be the same Zack at Rovers North!
You've helped me on a lot of orders. I'm the guy at the car dealership in Hawaii on Oahu. Good to find you here! Thanks for always taking good care of us. Sorry to hear about the soft tops going out of stock for good soon. Glad I bought mine when I did.
Thanks for the kind words, happy to hear that we've been helpful for you!

It's disappointing for sure, however it's one less company that we're waiting months on for products.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts