Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I've attached some pictures of my Mud Center console.
I decided on installing 3 gauges on the top section. And some switches on either side.
Still to drill and install is the Rear Wiper/wash in the open round indentation on the console.

So my question is..
Should I get/make some angle spacer rings to separate the 3 gauges out from the console and angle them down a bit for better viewing from the driver position?

Is this something that's already available out there?

Maybe there's a thinner VDO Boost gauge?

And for the Dbl din head unit.
Anyone know what the thinnest (read shallow) head unit is out there?
Looking for gps/am/fm/ back up camera possible screen capabilities.. 20210721_003512.jpg 20210721_003517.jpg 20210721_004243.jpg 20210721_004222.jpg 20210721_004210.jpg 20210721_004042.jpg 20210721_003815.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Ozzie

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I know pioneer, alpine and Sony offer a double din sized screen on a single din unit. That should give you the clearance you need from the gauges.

there are a couple of shallow units with-

·
Premium Member
11,040 Posts
I don’t have a fixed head unit in my truck. I do use a portable Bluetooth speaker set up that gets its music from my iPhone. For Nav an iPhone or iPad with cell capability is needed. But you don’t need to activate the cell service to use the Nav.
SDO offers switch and instrument panels. They might be the solution for you:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of the newer digital media displays are shallow because they don’t have a CD player. We have had success with fitting the Alpine digital media units in small dash spaces, but with the large MudUK center console, there’s ample room behind the head unit, even for a small stereo amplifier. A lot of the current digital media displays have the option of adding a small four-channel amp to the rear of the unit, which helps push enough power to the speakers in your truck so you can actually hear them when driving down the highway in a Defender :LOL:, and wanting improved stereo quality won’t require another amp mounted somewhere in your truck… taking up valuable space.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I put a Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX unit in which has a separate head unit and display. I ended up putting the head unit itself under the drivers seat and the display's extension cable was just long enough to get it up to the panel in the dash.

Likely more than you need to see but there is a photo of the screen depth here:

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put a Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX unit in which has a separate head unit and display. I ended up putting the head unit itself under the drivers seat and the display's extension cable was just long enough to get it up to the panel in the dash.

Likely more than you need to see but there is a photo of the screen depth here:

Thank you very much!
Love how you did everything.
Pretty much what Is like to do, just without the under cubby sub or extra amp.
Love what you did to space out the BU camera.
How much do you love wiring up dashes like that?
Wanna come to Ft Lauderdale for a weekend!?
I'm serious....

Ozzie

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
lol, thanks @Ozzie

As a complete novice I don't think anything could convince me to do that project again! Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol, thanks @Ozzie

As a complete novice I don't think anything could convince me to do that project again! Best of luck to you.
I laughed when i read this.
In my 93 RRC I removed the complete air suspension, power seats, and the power windows, switched all to Manual operation, then moved the complete ECU set up to under the passenger side dash to make more space for deeper fording. That Range Rover is still driving up in the Washington State mountains....
I'd never tackle that project again.....I don't think.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts