Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DA629725-C9EC-483A-9E87-0339C479267C.jpg

Just bought this little 1989 gem. Headed to port in southern Europe.

0E649E76-0BE1-4D86-8152-50AE29AC051B.jpg

Got to ditch that worthless middle seat!

1214F45B-91A5-43F6-AB40-46BF0FB59BBE.jpg

2.5 Turbo. Anemic? Yeah, but in a 90 not quite as bad

The chassis pics I recieved show a good chassis, bulkhead looks good. Of course that is from thousands of miles away, will see once it gets here.

Will get a full service, Rhino/Line-X on interior surfaces and a console, bulkhead delete behind seats, and a sand colored canvas full top.

Should be a tidy truck, fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Tdi it.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul, if the 19J is a poor performer, that may happen. I have a 200 that I picked up disassembled, and a different truck that may donate its lump as part of that project. I just want to ensure I do not go overboard and sink a fortune into it. Shocks will likely be toast, springs tired, seals leaky, lenses cracked, etc etc. And then there are tires to deal with.

One of the “joys” of buying without seeing will be just how much time and effort will be required, and if the truck will nickle and dime me to death. Small parts and switches and lights are not crazy expensive, but replacing a bunch of them adds up quick, as I am sure you know.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I wish I could fit in a Defender pickup...I love them.

Agreed. They look like you can just zip around town with them. Even more so than a 90 convertible as weird as that sounds.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 407952

My feelings on Aussies, Jonesy :cheers

I agree. Most people have trouble as the seats don’t go far back enough. Removing headrests helps but then has its own issues in case of accident.

Foley’s stretch roof and cab are too rich for my blood.

·
Premium Member
8,962 Posts
Need to dig up that picture of the Rovers North NAS 90 that was converted to a 90 pickup with the tilt/canvas over the back bed. Always thought that was a cool truck, and you could totally do a mimic of that on this 90.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
The turboD's aren't too bad really. You can fit an intercooler (which apparently helps a lot), not necessarily for more power but for engine care.

I've driven a few and always liked them. they seem so much torquier at idle than a Tdi (probably the indirect injection vs. direct) but

·
Registered
123 Posts
Need to dig up that picture of the Rovers North NAS 90 that was converted to a 90 pickup with the tilt/canvas over the back bed. Always thought that was a cool truck, and you could totally do a mimic of that on this 90.
That was (is) a great 90 pickup. Early Badger cab/tonneau set up? Regardless, a Badger cab/tonneau set up is very sweet and would look great on this one. I had a Badger cab/tonneau on my 90 and the only set up I liked better was the Surry top, just because I never had to mess with the Surry -- permanent umbrella...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That was (is) a great 90 pickup. Early Badger cab/tonneau set up? Regardless, a Badger cab/tonneau set up is very sweet and would look great on this one. I had a Badger cab/tonneau on my 90 and the only set up I liked better was the Surry top, just because I never had to mess with the Surry -- permanent umbrella...
Jason/Charlie, I will look around and see if I can find. For me this would be a compromise of seating position vs looks, unless the top/tonneau combo allows one to trim interior bulkhead down.

My previous 90PU had the heavy duty vinyl top with no side windows. Visibilty sucked, so any top will likely include side windows.

https://www.badgercoachworks.com/index_files/Page682.htm

·
Registered
123 Posts
Jason/Charlie, I will look around and see if I can find. For me this would be a compromise of seating position vs looks, unless the top/tonneau combo allows one to trim interior bulkhead down.

My previous 90PU had the heavy duty vinyl top with no side windows. Visibilty sucked, so any top will likely include side windows.

https://www.badgercoachworks.com/index_files/Page682.htm
I had the top/tonneau on a NAS 90, so no rear bulkhead -- nice if you are removing the rear bulkhead to accommodate more seating range. The rear "drop curtain does not extend to the floor -- it is attached to the tonneau by a zipper. So, if you want to drive without the toneau, there is a gap between the horizontal base of the drop curtain and the floor of the rear bed. My description might not make sense, and the pics on Chris' site really don't show that too well.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the top/tonneau on a NAS 90, so no rear bulkhead -- nice if you are removing the rear bulkhead to accommodate more seating range. The rear "drop curtain does not extend to the floor -- it is attached to the tonneau by a zipper. So, if you want to drive without the toneau, there is a gap between the horizontal base of the drop curtain and the floor of the rear bed. My description might not make sense, and the pics on Chris' site really don't show that too well.
No, I get what you are saying, makes sense. Will investigate further.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nice one! I really liked my 19j D90. It smoked like a bloody chimney but it was cool and I agree about it feeling torquey. Wouldn't say no to another.

Nice find

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice one! I really liked my 19j D90. It smoked like a bloody chimney but it was cool and I agree about it feeling torquey. Wouldn't say no to another.

Nice find

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks Marcus! Truck is in transit.

Hope your trip went/is going well. Very cool.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last week drove roundtrip from Iowa to Jax to pick up truck. Battery was stolen somewhere, and would not jump start, so forklifted onto trailer. Thanks, longshoreman dude.

Got truck home, battery in, starts, runs, drives.

So far, engine noise/clunk. Hoping injector not bearing.
There is an hydraulic, belt driven PTO setup. If I wan to run a grain auger, swell. Very professionally installed, but will be removed.
Chassis is near mint, bulkhead really nice.
Swivel bearings need to be addressed asap
Yokohama Geolandar 235/85-16 have arrived and will go on stock steelies.
All in all, a nice little truck.

Oh, and I got the “chicken tax” added on. That sucked.

Pics to follow.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
What's chicken tax?
A hefty tariff on imported trucks. Pickup trucks are the most profitable vehicle for domestic manufacturers; thus the government protects them from foreign competition. Just about the only foreign-make trucks we get here are ones that are anticipated to sell in enough quantities to justify building USA factories to produce them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

1 - 20 of 64 Posts