Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 94 ST with the stock 3.9 engine, its a summer car for me and only gets driven about 3-4 months out of the year , and hasn't been driven too much in the last couple years.(dont judge, I know I am not the best Land Rover owner)

A few years ago my oil cooler lines were cracked and the local Land Rover dealer mechanic (Land Rover East in Denver) suggested I just take them off, I am in Colorado and he suggested they werent overly needed in our climate. The last time I drove it last summer the temp got a little hot, I checked the coolant, it was low in the reservoir, I filled half way and parked it. Yesterday when I pulled it out I let it idle for about 20 mins, drover around the block a couple times no heat problem. But when I drove the kids to get ice cream last night, sitting in the drive through line the temp got above normal, on the drive home it when back to normal.

So here is the question, should I put the oil cooler lines back on or start looking for other problems?? (water pump, thermostat, ect)

Thanks for looking and your feedback,
Kev

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I'd start looking for other problems. I haven't had an oil cooler in my '95 since about 2006, drive the car in 100+ temps and don't have any problems with the engine getting too hot.

What Jimmy said is where I'd start.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
There is a lot of information about the oil cooler lines and there are quite a number of folks (even in hot climates) not running them. That is NOT a source of engine over heating. If you are overheating while not moving, the very first thing I would check is the viscous fan clutch and radiator as Jymmie says. Great advice. I would also have the radiator flushed and cleaned as it sounds like you probably have not done that regularly. I use Serck Denver Radiator (303) 297-0355. They work on commercial radiators and know what they are doing. They have either cleaned or rebuilt all of my radiators over the years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts