Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long of a job is this? I have to do the water pump anyway so figured it's a good time, but I can't have the truck out of service for too long. Engine is a disco 200TDI.

Thx, Mike

·
Premium Member
10,294 Posts
How long of a job is this? I have to do the water pump anyway so figured it's a good time, but I can't have the truck out of service for too long. Engine is a disco 200TDI.

Thx, Mike
Mike:
It depends on how deep you delve.
If you're just changing the water pump and belt, about 3-6 hours depending on how fast you are and if things come off easily and you have the timing tools.
About 2-3 hours longer if you remove the whole front cover to change the gasket.
I always run a tap through the threads to clean them out of all the crud that can cause the 8mm bolts to bind and strip the threads.
Any threads in question should be replaced with an insert.

The last thing you want to do is finish this job and have the gasket you didn't change between the front cover and the block start leaking coolant.
Then you start over again.

You can do the 300TDI in less than half the time.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I just ordered a belt kit and a timing tool set. I plan on knocking it out when it all arrives.

I already have the viscous fan and shroud off my truck. I can't imagine anyone doing the front case without taking off the shroud. The VC needs a special wrench to come off.

·
Premium Member
13,802 Posts
alternator bracket has to come off on a disco engine, of the three : a 300, a defender 200, and a disco 200. the disco 200 is the biggest hassle. I can do one fairly fast just because I have done a bunch. Really depends if the last guy to do the job was intelligent enough to use anti seize on the bolts. If you break them off it can add many hours to the job, heat and Kroil are your friends.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'm going to run down to Trevor's after work to pick up the parts and just trying to decide if I have enough time this weekend to do the job. What timing tools are required? I have a timing light but is there something else? I haven't read up on what's required yet. Glad to hear that my engine is the most difficult one to do this on too, lol..

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I think the timing tools needed are the 9mm pin, 22mm socket, 30 mm socket, flywheel holding pin and the crank pulley puller. Probably a 32mm Spanner for the viscous coupling

·
Super Moderator
13,013 Posts
Be prepared with something serious to remove the crank bolt. Best to read up on the whole thing in advance. Make sure you replace all idlers and seals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts