Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,704 Posts
Heat and cold applied to the various pieces?

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
This is to attach the new "bull horns" to the new stock style 300tdi turbo. They are a loose fit so no benefit for heat or cold. We thought the slightly larger diameter 1/8" wide shoulder on the bullhorns would be an interference fit into the ends of the new turbo center unit. But they are a loose sliding fit that bottoms out right before the shoulder starts to enter the center unit. At this point I'm assuming it's only sealed by the called-for exhaust paste and "familiarity" over time as the parts rust together. Anyone actually put one together?

·
Premium Member
9,014 Posts
My understanding - as Dave pointed out - is you put the exhaust paste on them, and then the heat of the exhaust manifold will help "set" them. The reading I did awhile back when I was planning to do a turbo replacement made it sound as such. I also sort of recall confirming that process with Crowther, but it's been awhile so you may want to check with him as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.