Defender Source Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
2000 Td5, EGR delete, stage 1 tune, center box removed, 285/75/16 BFG muds, Hannibal roof rack.

Averaging 25MPG combined city/hwy. Best ever was highway mileage, 33MPG when I had a Romerdrive. It has since been removed as it has failed twice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1989 110, 235/85 KO2s, full length rack, winch. My 19J used to do about 20 on highway runs (no winch then). I now have a Cummins 2.8. On a recent drive across the country, heavily packed, I was getting 25 mpg at 60-65 mph with a stock tune. Tuned up and doing 75, it dropped to about 20.

·
Registered
154 Posts
1985 110 Chevy 6 swap. Put in a rebuilt to stock 292, new r380, used disco 1 1.2 lt230. 2” lift, 32” tires, “heavy duty suspension” I need to do something about if I wanna keep my teeth it’s so bumpy.

I was getting 11mpg uphill and down, hwy and city but with colder weather I’m down to 9-10.

Something seems off somewhere I’m not getting power I should, I’ll update if I ever figure it out.

*this same truck, same suspension, tires etc but with stock drivetrain 2.25L petrol, lt77, and 1.6 lt230 I was getting 10mpg everywhere but could only go 45mph with the pedal damn near in the engine bay lol.

*also have a 250 I scooped up as a replacement if filling up this frequently continues to piss me off. If that happens I’ll update that mpg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
12-14 mpg hot rodding it around in the city
20 mpg freeway @78-80 MPH on flat roads or going up I-80 in the mountains (no matter)
2,200 RPM’s at 100 mph
Since it’s shaped like a billboard, I don’t dare go faster than that
1991 110 station wagon
3 door
1:1 high ratio xfer case
6.2 liter LS3 engine, supercharged
6 speed auto trans
Stock size tires
15D4268A-BD0D-4A6C-87F2-55BA1FCA3166.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’m considering an engine swap and a big factor in deciding (for me) is fuel economy.

I think I posed this question when I was new to the site, and it didn’t really go anywhere.

Anyone who is willing, please post your MPG.

is can be as simple as year model and mileage, or as detailed a description of your rig as you feel is appropriate.

that said, if you aren’t posting a statistic, please don’t hijack the thread with explanations as to why the question isn’t prudent or lists of factors which would change or invalidate the data.

I’ll start

I’m driving an ex-mod 110 with the stock drivetrain (2.5na, lt77, 7.5-16 XZL)
I typically see 20 MPG

Who’s next?
1988 LR90. 2.5 NA Diesel. No lift. Good year light truck radials (different wheels and tires for offload). Pretty much stock. 21 MPG around town and on highway...max speed is 65 MPH...slower if into wind or uphill!

Note that that is 21 miles per US gallon...I note some Canadians quoting mileage here, and the CDN gallon is 17% bigger than a US gallon (3.78 vs 4.54 liters). So if I had the same truck in Canada the MPG would be 24.6...

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
It looks like you won't see much of any improvement with an engine swap even if you go with a diesel. I'm impressed that an LS can achieve 20 mpg on the highway. I'm hoping I can achieve that with the BMW 6 cylinder, but anything will be an improvement over the Rover V8. A modern turbo 4 cylinder would probably provide the best MPG. Such as the ones in the new Ford Ranger and Bronco.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
I think you should be happy with what you got. I would say that if you want the perfect diesel for your truck it would have to be a td5.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my well built/rebuilt 3.9. It runs great, the truck is not slow, and gives me about 15 MPG (about 12 before I changed the worn injectors). I did not buy a 3 ton brick to get good gas milage. Park the Defender and buy a Tesla if gas mileage is your biggest concern. I also value originality. I am disinclined to buy anyone else's engine swap. Its like buying someone else's home built aircraft - you never know the hidden issues.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Haven’t tested my 110 for mpg but my 95 RRC gets about 10mpg. 3.9, 33’s, heavy ass beadlocks and heavy steel all the way around. About 5500lbs.

Your 20mpg is probably looking really good right now!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
1988 LR90. 2.5 NA Diesel. No lift. Good year light truck radials (different wheels and tires for offload). Pretty much stock. 21 MPG around town and on highway...max speed is 65 MPH...slower if into wind or uphill!

Note that that is 21 miles per US gallon...I note some Canadians quoting mileage here, and the CDN gallon is 17% bigger than a US gallon (3.78 vs 4.54 liters). So if I had the same truck in Canada the MPG would be 24.6...
We're doing about 9.5 litres per 100 km ~ 25 US MPG.
I don't think anyone in Canada really uses the UK gallon anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
1985 110 Chevy 6 swap. Put in a rebuilt to stock 292, new r380, used disco 1 1.2 lt230. 2” lift, 32” tires, “heavy duty suspension” I need to do something about if I wanna keep my teeth it’s so bumpy.

I was getting 11mpg uphill and down, hwy and city but with colder weather I’m down to 9-10.

Something seems off somewhere I’m not getting power I should, I’ll update if I ever figure it out.

*this same truck, same suspension, tires etc but with stock drivetrain 2.25L petrol, lt77, and 1.6 lt230 I was getting 10mpg everywhere but could only go 45mph with the pedal damn near in the engine bay lol.

*also have a 250 I scooped up as a replacement if filling up this frequently continues to piss me off. If that happens I’ll update that mpg.
It's a bummer you're getting such a poor performance. Are you sure your handbrake or brakes aren't dragging? Single-digit mile per gallon out of a 6-cylinder is pretty atrocious

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's a bummer you're getting such a poor performance. Are you sure your handbrake or brakes aren't dragging? Single-digit mile per gallon out of a 6-cylinder is pretty atrocious
Yep, checked that that's not a problem. Hopefully now the new year is over I can get it into a shop. Any old timers who are familiar with the inline 6 heads explode when I tell them its got the efi and vice versa for any shop who could deal with the efi.

I new a 292 was gonna get worse mpg then a 250 and was cool getting like 15mpg or so but less then 200 miles per tank on highway is no bueno. I need an aux tank just stop filling up every other day

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Yep, checked that that's not a problem. Hopefully now the new year is over I can get it into a shop. Any old timers who are familiar with the inline 6 heads explode when I tell them its got the efi and vice versa for any shop who could deal with the efi.

I new a 292 was gonna get worse mpg then a 250 and was cool getting like 15mpg or so but less then 200 miles per tank on highway is no bueno. I need an aux tank just stop filling up every other day
If you're ever in my area man we could take a peek. There's got to be some hidden power in there. Maybe the cam was installed out of time or something?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my well built/rebuilt 3.9. It runs great, the truck is not slow, and gives me about 15 MPG (about 12 Park the Defender and buy a Tesla if gas mileage is your biggest concern.
Questions regarding MPG in Defenders are often to calculate overall vehicle range, not an exercise in $/mile

·
Registered
17 Posts
Would winter fuels cause lesser economy and performance?

'67 109" NADA with 1992 3.9 V8, 4hpzf22 auto transmission, 2004 Discovery LT230 1.2 ratio, Stage One 3.54 axles with 7.50x16 Michelin XZL's barely averages 10 mpg in town, 15-ish on the highway at 70-ish, with a best of 16.84 mpg.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts