Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

My LT95 had a good handbrake 'frame' attached to the t case, but I can't see how that will work on my new LT230, right?

I do have the drum on the driveshaft, but the t case itself needs the frame to attach the linkage. New or used

I can't seem to find where to buy this setup.

Any thoughts would help!

Trevor

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much.
I do already have the entire brake set up. What I can't yet understand is how to link it to my existing brake lever? I have a line coming from the lever that was going into the LT95 brake linkage set up on the side of the Tcase.

The brake set up that I was sold to go along with the LT230 has a brake line coming from it - about 20" long. Does this connect to the brake line from the brake lever somehow?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If your supplied brake is of the older "rod operated" type, you should have been supplied with cable NTC3480 that goes from the side linkage to the handbrake lever.

You must have had bracket NRC5110 for V8, and now you'd need NRC8059 or NTC1643. Like I said, probably lots of these hanging around shops after being taken out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your supplied brake is of the older "rod operated" type, you should have been supplied with cable NTC3480 that goes from the side linkage to the handbrake lever.

You must have had bracket NRC5110 for V8, and now you'd need NRC8059 or NTC1643. Like I said, probably lots of these hanging around shops after being taken out.

Thanks very much for your help

is the diagram that you sent for LT95 or an R380?
It looks like the one on my removed LT95. No I was not supplied the proper brake actuation frame.
But I was supplied with a new brake set up that would not work with this brake frame in the diagram. See attached. I can’t see how this works with a transfer case mounted brake frame?
Any advise appreciated

·
Registered
237 Posts
The brake in your photo is of the newer direct cable entry type, so you do not need any linkage or bracket. It is intended to connect directly to the lever. If the cable is too short I'd guess it was removed from a Disco or RRC. You need SPB500200, which is in the diagram.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks very much for your help

is the diagram that you sent for LT95 or an R380?
It looks like the one on my removed LT95. No I was not supplied the proper brake actuation frame.
But I was supplied with a new brake set up that would not work with this brake frame in the diagram. See attached. I can’t see how this works with a transfer case mounted brake frame?
Any advise appreciated View attachment 475849
You need the support (mounted to the seat box) for this hand brake lever too!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the info, but there seems to not be a consensus.
If my brake is the newer style, do I actually need a 'brake linkage frame'? Or does it just go into the lever? If it goes into the lever, is the cable that is already attached to the brake not correct?

Thanks again

·
Registered
237 Posts
You definitely do not need a brake linkage frame. He’s talking about a stiffener plate that sandwiches the hand-lever base and seat box. AFAIK it’s only needed on early setups.

If your current cable doesn’t reach the hand-lever, it’s probably from a Disco or RR, so then you’d need SPB500200 for Defender.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks
I bought that SPB500200 brake cable but just realized that I will also need a housing. The brake cable will not (I assume) work without that. I assume it works like a bicycle cable brake - which needs a housing. Do you by chance know the part number for a 990 mm housing?
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
These are from a R380 setup if that helps.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Skapegoat, you should post a pic of what hand brake lever assembly is currently in your truck.

You should be able run the brake cable in your pic thru the seat box and connect directly to the hand brake lever If it’s long enough.

·
Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
925 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts