Defender Source Forum banner

Swing away tire and gas can carriers

18K views 63 replies 23 participants last post by  chrisvonc 
#1 ·
I saw this swing away tire carrier on a vehicle for sale on ebay about 7 months ago. It attaches to the receiver hitch...It would be perfect for my application...does anyone know where I can find one? I ask the person that had it for sale, but they did not know anything about it. Even if I could get a manufacture...anything would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That unit used to be sold by British Pacific and TReK Outfitters, made by a company called Fabracor (I think was the name). Both companys stopped carrying the units due to the inconsistance from the manufacture of design, missing parts to put the units together, and horrid assembly directions. And yes, I speak from my own expreriance with a few of these units, both the hitch mount version as well as the bumper mounted version.

I have a complete, more permant mounted model as well as have all the large parts for a 2nd, reciever hitch mounted unit. It took 2 years, 3 parts bags from the manufacture, 2 trips to a welder, and still 4 trips to Home Depot to make 1 complete, full funtional unit which I would only use ever again on another long solo truck trip across country in the D90 with 2 people.

If you are looking for a hitch mounted option, you may be able to find a "complete" unit somewhere. It would take me a lot of energy to assemble the 2nd one I have into a working unit.

#3 ·
Oh the HORROR!!!

Listen to Chris. If you see one of these units, run far far away. I'm also speaking from personal experience.

If you want something real, have a look at the "product reviews" section of this website D90 SOURCE PRODUCT REVIEWS and have one made.

#4 ·
I wanted a Shrockworks, but neither on of the carries that they sell will work with the LR Roof rack. That seems to be my biggest problem. I want a tire carrier that carries Jerry cans and a high lift jack and will also let me keep my rack. I think that the Safari Gard my work, but what a price they want for it? I am not sure it is worth that. By the way thanks for the heads up about the tire carrier sounds like I need to steer clear!!

#5 ·
Yes I forgot.. Art knows the horror well since he was the owner of my first unit and he had it for almost a year too trying to get it together before I got it to my place.

I must say after the hardship of actually getting it putting it together, it did its job well for our trip with the exception of the hilift holder issue.

But if you already have a roof rack then really, I would just add an expanded metal floor and store the cans and hilift up there and save myself the aggravation.

Chris

#6 ·
Yes Mantec carriers are pretty good, but get a saddle tamk and do away with the cans altogether. Cans on the roofrack are not a good idea. there was a VERY nasty accident when we were in Morocco the summer before last involving a discovery that rolled. Too much weight up too high and a very twisty mountain road going to Marakesh. Luckily everyone was eventually O.K. but the discovery was a write-off. the axles were torn off the chassis.:eek:

#8 ·
I ran into the same issue with my SW. I wanted to be able to posses easy access to my Hi-Lift and/or Jerry Cans and accomidate a heavier wheel/tire combo, but didn't want to pay the $G price. So, I debated back and forth between purchasing the set up above and the Mantec Carrier. However, the option that drove me towards the Mantec were the location of the mounts.

On the set up in the article above both mounts are secured on right hand corner of the body with backing panneles. Conversly, the Mantec bottom mount attatches firmly to the rear crossmember on your frame while the top secures to the body. Hence, I felt more wieght could be applied to the crossmember rather than the body iteself. Needless to say, I still haven't found an effecient position to mount my Hi-Lift yet, but I have more confidence in my Mantec Carrier and it's abilities to withstand my Steel Wheel and 70-lbs 8.25 XZL spare on the back! Hope this helps out.

Regards

DJ

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
DJ, do you have your bumper installed and if so, how do you fit the Mantec onto the crossmember? I like the bumper and would like to keep it with a tire carrier.

Mike, You can resize your pics on the iMac using iPhoto (comes with the OS) or Adobe Photoshop or Elements. If I understand right, the pic can't be larger than 640x640. Use those software to just resize the image.

CVC, yours is much nicer.... haha

#11 ·
Landrover chat & computer lessons.
Splendid!!!
The WVA wheel carrier bottom mount does infact mount to the chassis.
It bolts to the same log that the rear body fixes to
I can tell you that it's exceptionally strong and stood up to protracted vibration caused by corrugations on tracks in the Moroccan Sahara

#13 · (Edited)
Ken

Yes, you can keep the rear bumper with the Mantec Tire Carrier. The bottom mount on the Mantec Carrier merely taps into the rear cross member just above the rear bumper and below the body. Although the rear bumper has been removed, you can see the bottom mount in the picture below. While the bottom mounting tab overlaps both the body and cross member only the three bolts on the cross memeber provide a secure mounting platform. There is no contact between the bottom tab and the body. Hope this helps.

Regards

DJ

Attachments

#15 ·
need help with Mantec tire carrier

I installed a Mantec tire carrier several weeks ago on my sw. About a week ago I started to feel a bit of binding when I would open the door. Then it started to make a low moaning (ok, let me hear the jokes) noise. This past weekend we loosened up the bolts of the hinges that are mounted on the body, plus put a little oil on them. That seemed to help. That was Saturday. Today, the noise has returned. Anyone have any ideas on how to adjust this out? Thanks.

#20 ·
I sprayed some teflon lube in the nylon slider about 3 months ago, and noise went away and hasn't returned.

Also, imho, make sure that the slider does not have vertical force pressing on it, up or down. All the weight should be carried on the frame hinges. The nylon slider's position is adjustable on the carrier end -- make sure it 'floats.' My 2 c.

Doug

#21 ·
Rick,
Could it be a little extra stress on the door hinges? When I went to a larger size tire and spare, it was just enough to start to make my rear door creak and moan. I tried grease and all sort of things, then replaced the hinge pins and the brass ends that sit inside the hinge cups. Not a sound since.

I got my replacement ones from Wise Owl Parts (wiseowlparts.com). They make them themselves rather than the $$ a rover set would be... if you can find them. They are the same hinge pins as used on series trucks. Cost about $10.00 cdn for the set. (probably about $3.00 US :grin )

#22 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the ideas. It's weird how noises seem to be coming from one place but can actually be coming from another place. My friend and I suspected the nylon slider immediately but it seemed the sound was coming from the swing hinges. So we tried to adjust them, grease them, etc.
I will have a look at the nylon slider this weekend. I think Doug has a good point about making sure there is no vertical stress on the slider. And then I will lube it up. I'll let you know if that does it DJ.
Also, Scott, my door hinges look ok. Probably as good as any original hinge. But I will look into your suggestion about the hinge pins and brass ends.
Thanks.

#25 ·
mantec tire carrier

i just purchased a mantec tire carrier from british pacific (part #GMN050) for my '97 defender soft top....however, it appears that the mantec lower bracket would have to go directly over where the rear lights are.....any thoughts??? is there a different mantec carrier or what??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.