Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pulled my Gearbox/Transfer Case I was surprised to see USA stamped in at least 2 places on the transfer case, on the bell housing, and on the gear box below the serial number. Were these made in the USA or just marked for the export vehicles? My second thought was a worry that it is some sort of hermaphrodite and good luck finding parts. SN ends in A.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's a new one for me! The MOD would sometimes put XXXXX through a number and stamp a new suffix if the innards were changed over (such as the reverse bearing we discussed earlier). Yours is an "A" box based on the serial number, so it is an early SIII. That is consistent with the age of your vehicle. If the gearbox was rebuilt by Rover, they would attach a metal plate saying that it was refurbished. Many military SIII boxes have painted on serial numbers. I'll have to swing by and have a look sometime. I'm in Pleasant Valley almost every day. The only real difference between home market (RHD) gearboxes and LHD vehicles was the gear lever. Bent a bit different for RHD. PM me and we can exchange phone numbers if you want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts