Defender Source Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Turner might be the best source for the rear main seal. I just did all the seals on the bottom end on my 200tdi and purchased from them.
Good deal, I'll be sure to check them out. Heard a ton of great things about that company and the products they are putting out. Fairly new to all this, learning as I go. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ah. I see now. I would get a new clutch housing. If you try and bolt that up it will be distorted.
Good point, didn't think about that. I'll start the search in the morning. Any advice on re-using the flywheel bolts? Should I purchase new ones?

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Flywheel bolts are reuseable with red locktite. If you are replacing the clutch you should also machine the flywheel. A clutch housing will probably be expensive, maybe just some washers ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Flywheel bolts are reuseable with red locktite. If you are replacing the clutch you should also machine the flywheel. A clutch housing will probably be expensive, maybe just some washers ?
Yea, thought about some washers, or something along those lines to fill the space. I do have a tig welder and may fill in the gap with some 1/8 aluminum stock, but not sure what grade of aluminum the housing is. I'll be sure to post my solution should I head in that direction. Thanks again for the advice and info, truly appreciate everyone on here.

·
Premium Member
10,146 Posts
I rarely use red, wouldn't blue locktite be fine?

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Yea, thought about some washers, or something along those lines to fill the space. I do have a tig welder and may fill in the gap with some 1/8 aluminum stock, but not sure what grade of aluminum the housing is. I'll be sure to post my solution should I head in that direction. Thanks again for the advice and info, truly appreciate everyone on here.

its prob the shittest grade that land rover could afford.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Man oh man! Thurner Eng is doing some really fantastic work. Thanks for the link. Spent the better part of two hours looking through their site. Wish we had someone doing this type of work here in the States. Curious if anyone on here has had experience with sycrogearboxes.com? I'm interested in their transmission brake/disc brake conversion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Man oh man! Thurner Eng is doing some really fantastic work. Thanks for the link. Spent the better part of two hours looking through their site. Wish we had someone doing this type of work here in the States. Curious if anyone on here has had experience with sycrogearboxes.com? I'm interested in their transmission brake/disc brake conversion.
Sure I sound like the total inexperienced nube, and that's exactly what I am with all this. Exciting to learn so much about these vehicles from all of you.🍻

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
synchro is great to deal with. i have the original disc conversion made by a company called X engineering. i think they have been bought out. in either case i find it to a worthwhile upgrade

21 - 32 of 32 Posts