Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need to remove the wheel to swap the switches, classic!

I've tried all of the following (with the nut loosened up but left on bc I just bought a new motor and I don't also need a new nose):
  • sitting in the seat and pulling with everything i got
  • half a can of penetrating oil
  • pushing and pulling on each side, rocking and not really rocking
  • hammering left and right with a BFH from the front AND from the back
  • Used come-alongs strung up and over my roll/seat belt bar and left as much tension as i possibly could on the wheel for 2 full days
  • pneumatic impact hammer on the column itself from the front (with a protective wood piece), as well as on the backing plate from the back
  • (Edited to add): I also had a shop try a puller and the bolt broke (it's still got a piece in there). I can remove it, but that's been briefly tried before)
What else is there to try?? It's not budged a millimeter, no signs of corrosion. I'm at a loss bc I'm not sure how i could possibly apply any more pulling force than completely torqued industrial/tow-truck level comalongs/ratchet straps precisely in the direction it needs to move.

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts

this puller will take all of 3 seconds . this one works perfectly and comes with the correct bolts. I personally know the guys who own this biz, the site is purposely janky 90s style.

you will kick yourself for trying to remove it any other way

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
so I've

this puller will take all of 3 seconds . this one works perfectly and comes with the correct bolts. I personally know the guys who own this biz, the site is purposely janky 90s style.

you will kick yourself for trying to remove it any other way
Forgot to mention, in the past a shop has tried to use a puller to no avail.

it wasn't a very long process, the steering was askew after a steering box change and right as i picked it up they tried to straighten the wheel. bolt broke, so they just disconnected the steering column joint and spun it. So this does look very helpful, but if i did it, I'd also need to remove the broken bolt that's in there.

This looks heftier for sure, though. I just bought it bc it'll take a few days to arrive. For $20 it's worth the risk even if I resolve it in that time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My wheel from my 85 was also stuck a few years back, I used a harbor freight piston compressor in reverse, finally just popped. If you're still in NY, I'll give it to you to try.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Maybe soak overnight with penetrating oil, and then try a puller with a stout piece of steel bar like Naplm00's, with alloy steel 170K PSI M6 screws.

One thing I noticed is that when putting the wheel back on, don't get carried away with tightening the nut. It only seats the wheel down on the splines so much that it makes it difficult to pull the next time. Just snug it up enough to compress the lock washer.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Need to remove the wheel to swap the switches, classic!

I've tried all of the following (with the nut loosened up but left on bc I just bought a new motor and I don't also need a new nose):
  • sitting in the seat and pulling with everything i got
  • half a can of penetrating oil
  • pushing and pulling on each side, rocking and not really rocking
  • hammering left and right with a BFH from the front AND from the back
  • Used come-alongs strung up and over my roll/seat belt bar and left as much tension as i possibly could on the wheel for 2 full days
  • pneumatic impact hammer on the column itself from the front (with a protective wood piece), as well as on the backing plate from the back
  • (Edited to add): I also had a shop try a puller and the bolt broke (it's still got a piece in there). I can remove it, but that's been briefly tried before)
What else is there to try?? It's not budged a millimeter, no signs of corrosion. I'm at a loss bc I'm not sure how i could possibly apply any more pulling force than completely torqued industrial/tow-truck level comalongs/ratchet straps precisely in the direction it needs to move.
Its been a long time since I have heard of someone trying to remove a steering wheel without a wheel puller FIRST.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its been a long time since I have heard of someone trying to remove a steering wheel without a wheel puller FIRST.
yeah, that was an oversight, it had been attempted previously with a puller and we broke a bolt and it didn't move in the slightest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts