Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the door skins that SP sells, either the aluminum or the galvanized steel?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Is there door skin for split door type also? Galvanized?

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2015 06:35 PM ------

Having the ever lasting rust problem with land-rover doors, I was thinking doin' them with fiberglass..

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
These guys rock! I bought a new set of door bottoms from them. Quick shipping at reasonable rate. My order was paced well for overseas shipping. I will be buying from them again!

·
Premium Member
10,766 Posts
I have a shipment in progress from them. Should be here Monday having left them earlier today.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Purchased a rear puma style door from them and it arrived in good condition.

Same, I purchased a rear puma door, galvanized frame, painted to match in genuine LR color. It arrived on island in 12 days. Condition was excellent.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I'm actually surprised no US vendor has taken to stocking their stuff here in the US.
That would be awesome. Maybe post in the vendors section & see?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info.
Is it worth going with the steel Galvy? Not that it's much more.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Is it worth going with the steel Galvy? Not that it's much more.
I have a different perspective than most on doors - I see them as a consumable item…

With any consumable the tactic should be quick easy replacement (Oil, filters, belts, etc) or that the entire component is replaced at the same time (timing belt and pulleys, radiator, etc…) Doors I would classify as the latter - looking to replace the whole unit at the same time vs. replacing frame or skin. To that end the galv steel skins are not going to react with a galvanized steel frame and the only replacement needed will come from door surface damage (dings, dents, etc) until the entire component needs replaced (if frames and skins are fresh, new or repaired correctly, galvanized, correctly primed and painted this can be 30 years before they need done again)

AND - you can use car magnets on them...

·
Super Moderator
12,989 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Is there door skin for split door type also? Galvanized?

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2015 06:35 PM ------

Having the ever lasting rust problem with land-rover doors, I was thinking doin' them with fiberglass..

Why buy skins for half doors when the whole replacement is the same price as a full door skin.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
I've never received an extra customs bill from ordering overseas. I have also never used UPS. I have only used Fedex or Royal Mail and have always had excellent experiences.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts