Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we are again. To early to know all the details, but it appears that having an armed School Resource officer in the school this time made a difference. Local news is reporting School Resource officer shot Suspect, ending event..

3 injured in shooting at high school in St. Mary's County

"The school at 21130 Great Mills Road in Great Mills was placed on lockdown after a gunman walked into the hallway and shot a female student and a male student around 8 a.m., authorities said.

"The school resource officer fired a round, at least a round, at the shooter and, I believe, the shooter also fired a round," St. Mary's County Sheriff Timothy K. Cameron said.

The school resource officer was not injured.

The incident, which started at the beginning of the school day with 1,600 students in the school, has been contained, officials said.

The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office said three people, including the shooter, are in critical condition. The male victim was taken to MedStar St. Mary's Hospital. It's unclear where the female victim and the shooter were taken.

The shooter has not yet been identified.

"We know that the shooting victims and the shooter were students at Great Mills High School. We don't know their relationship. We don't know the motivation, of course, that is what will happen in the hours to come as we piece together the motivation and the relationship of everybody in this incident," Cameron said."

UPDATE: 2 Students Injured, Suspected Gunman Hospitalized After Md. High School Shooting | One America News Network

"Sheriff Tim Cameron told reporters the shooting started at around 8 a.m. local time when the shooter walked into the school and fired one round at a female student, in turn, also hitting a male student.

Cameron then said the school’s resource officer ran towards the shooting, and quickly engaged the gunman.

The officer fired one round at the shooter, who fired back at him.

The shooter and the female student were hosptialized in critical condition, and the male student was critically injured but stable.

The school resource officer was not hurt."

I suspect we shall see some POTUS tweets soon to the effect of 'I told you so"

BRAVO to the School Resource Officer for doing his job, and saving unknown lives this morning..

Will this wake up some of the gun grabbing public's opinion on armed resources inside Schools.. Probably not, after all their agenda's aren't really about making schools safer anyway..

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Well my brother in law is a sheriff in that county, also on the swat team...

I am sure he got a call this morning to respond.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
So here we are again. To early to know all the details, but it appears that having an armed School Resource officer in the school this time made a difference. Local news is reporting School Resource officer shot Suspect, ending event..

3 injured in shooting at high school in St. Mary's County

"The school at 21130 Great Mills Road in Great Mills was placed on lockdown after a gunman walked into the hallway and shot a female student and a male student around 8 a.m., authorities said.

"The school resource officer fired a round, at least a round, at the shooter and, I believe, the shooter also fired a round," St. Mary's County Sheriff Timothy K. Cameron said.

The school resource officer was not injured.

The incident, which started at the beginning of the school day with 1,600 students in the school, has been contained, officials said.

The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office said three people, including the shooter, are in critical condition. The male victim was taken to MedStar St. Mary's Hospital. It's unclear where the female victim and the shooter were taken.

The shooter has not yet been identified.

"We know that the shooting victims and the shooter were students at Great Mills High School. We don't know their relationship. We don't know the motivation, of course, that is what will happen in the hours to come as we piece together the motivation and the relationship of everybody in this incident," Cameron said."

UPDATE: 2 Students Injured, Suspected Gunman Hospitalized After Md. High School Shooting | One America News Network

"Sheriff Tim Cameron told reporters the shooting started at around 8 a.m. local time when the shooter walked into the school and fired one round at a female student, in turn, also hitting a male student.

Cameron then said the school’s resource officer ran towards the shooting, and quickly engaged the gunman.

The officer fired one round at the shooter, who fired back at him.

The shooter and the female student were hosptialized in critical condition, and the male student was critically injured but stable.

The school resource officer was not hurt."

I suspect we shall see some POTUS tweets soon to the effect of 'I told you so"

BRAVO to the School Resource Officer for doing his job, and saving unknown lives this morning..

Will this wake up some of the gun grabbing public's opinion on armed resources inside Schools.. Probably not, after all their agenda's aren't really about making schools safer anyway..

:popcorn:
I know everyone has probably seen or heard it and I am not taking sides but CNN had a town hall with Dana Loesch, a bunch of school kids and the police chief in Florida. That police officer had the nerve to open his mouth and attached Dana asking how she and the NRA is going protect the children. Seriously shouldn't he be taking a quite back seat to the conversation at this point?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You do realize that the majority of American's support having on-site "resource officers" in schools. If you're referring to the "gun grabbing public" as individuals who don't think arming teachers is a solution than you will find nearly all teachers unions and police unions think that's a stupid idea concocted by morons who have no idea what kind of training is involved with an active shooter situation.

In this case a 17 year old slighted former suitor somehow procured a firearm (dollars to donuts it came from his own home) and shot someone. Best to await details before you politicize something :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
JT I got to say, the critics said the same thing about commercial airline pilots carrying weapons. I know pilots who do and don't. And I would say the program is a success. Evil seeks a soft target and a gun free zone every time.

·
Registered
647 Posts
...teachers unions and police unions...
Unions have agendas (as do government agencies, companies, volunteer organizations, etc.)

Union agendas on political issues rarely align with what their members want.

My question is, what do the teachers and police officers think?

FWIW, I am a dues paying union member, in good standing. I have volunteered for committee work and even ran for office once. But I regularly roll my eyes at the positions my union takes.

Mike & Carrie

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
I'm still looking for that list of US airlines that have been hijacked since pilots have been carrying, the Googles got nothing so far.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Unions have agendas (as do government agencies, companies, volunteer organizations, etc.)

Union agendas on political issues rarely align with what their members want.

My question is, what do the teachers and police officers think?

FWIW, I am a dues paying union member, in good standing. I have volunteered for committee work and even ran for office once. But I regularly roll my eyes at the positions my union takes.

Mike & Carrie
I haven't met an officer or a teacher on board with this; usually freely volunteered not solicited

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just ban guns...all guns :whistling:
Banning is the simple part.

Serious question: How do you take them all away?

Second question: How do you prevent people with a mill and some chemistry skills from making new guns? Highly accurate firearms are not new technology, think of the Minute Men of 240 years ago.

Mike & Carrie

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
JT perhaps you should meet my brother, a school resource officer, and holder of two masters and a 17 plus year veteran cop in the Atlanta MSA. He absolutely advocates for arming willing and able school employees to carry. He has 9 schools that he covers, the "first responders" are the teachers and administrators who are on scene during a given event. In every school there are those that can and will handle business. My ex-wife is a teacher who would throw her body between her students and a bullet without hesitation. Her friend Jen is also a teacher as well as a fantastic shot who would double tap anyone who would dare hurt her students or as she calls them her "babies" My brother is basically a vice principal with a gun, badge and a tazer that doesn't take **** from little Johnny Snowflake.

He absolutely advocates for school personal to carry. Be they a principle/administration, teacher or the damn school custodian. Carrying a weapon is an awesome responsibility and one that should not be taken lightly but to say that the guy/gal who was honorably discharged from the United States Marine Corps is no longer able to handle a weapon in a deadly force situation because he/she in now an educator offends me.

My brother will also tell you that your average cop isn't really all that proficient with a freaking firearm to begin with!!! Very few spend any time whatsoever at the range honing their skills with one of the most deadly tools of their trade. Yep most cops are shitty shots who only shoot their weapons just enough to qualify. So stop with the nonsense that the only person who should have
A weapon on campus is some deranged kid living out his "First Person Shooter" fantasy or a cop who can barely qualify with a pistol.

·
Premium Member
6,087 Posts
I spend more than half the year in Canada, where only long arms are legal. That way, only criminals have hand guns and there are only random shootings involving illegal guns on a daily basis. Much safer this way..... sarcasm font off.

Oddly enough, I was just thumbing though a hand gun magazine in the grocery line right here in the heart of B.C. Ahhhh, forbidden fruit! ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
John, accidental discharges by police officers are actually quite common, using your logic, if this one incident of a careless teacher precludes any school faculty or staff from being armed then ALL police officers should be disarmed due to the possibility of an accidental discharge. And most definitely ALL School Resource Officers should be pulled out of ALL schools immediately to keep our children safe from the very real possibility of an accidental discharge by these law enforcement official.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Don't put words in my mouth dude. My wife is a teacher and has owned her Glock for 20 years. Save it for a tree hugger. I don't want guns in my kids classroom period.. Armed sheriffs on campus with the sole purpose of security is way different than my wife bringing her gun to work. Its not her job and the odds of one of the kids in that class getting injured because of that firearm go up significantly.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
JT perhaps you should meet my brother, a school resource officer, and holder of two masters and a 17 plus year veteran cop in the Atlanta MSA. He absolutely advocates for arming willing and able school employees to carry. He has 9 schools that he covers, the "first responders" are the teachers and administrators who are on scene during a given event. In every school there are those that can and will handle business. My ex-wife is a teacher who would throw her body between her students and a bullet without hesitation. Her friend Jen is also a teacher as well as a fantastic shot who would double tap anyone who would dare hurt her students or as she calls them her "babies" My brother is basically a vice principal with a gun, badge and a tazer that doesn't take **** from little Johnny Snowflake.

He absolutely advocates for school personal to carry. Be they a principle/administration, teacher or the damn school custodian. Carrying a weapon is an awesome responsibility and one that should not be taken lightly but to say that the guy/gal who was honorably discharged from the United States Marine Corps is no longer able to handle a weapon in a deadly force situation because he/she in now an educator offends me.

My brother will also tell you that your average cop isn't really all that proficient with a freaking firearm to begin with!!! Very few spend any time whatsoever at the range honing their skills with one of the most deadly tools of their trade. Yep most cops are shitty shots who only shoot their weapons just enough to qualify. So stop with the nonsense that the only person who should have
A weapon on campus is some deranged kid living out his "First Person Shooter" fantasy or a cop who can barely qualify with a pistol.
Perhaps I shouldn't. Sounds like you're both confused. So you're advocating for giving firearms to teachers and staff who will do the bare minimum to qualify?

You can't take outliers and apply them in broad strokes to the majority; you're always going to find specific examples that support your side. Vast majority of educators and law enforcement I have spoken to think arming civilians and introducing more handguns increases the chance of accidental discharge or collateral damage.

Raise the age to buy semi-automatic weapons to 25, charge gun owners whose weapons are used by someone to commit a crime with accessory to that crime and watch as people start being more responsible with their handguns and rifles.

I am willing to bet this entire event could have been avoided if the owner of that firearm didn't have it just sitting in their nightstand drawer.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Again, those same arguments were used when arguing against arming civilian airline pilots. And again, I will tell you the vast majority of law-enforcement officers do the absolute bare minimum to qualify with their firearms. Oh and by the way, there WAS a School Resource Officer on campus that waited outside until the shooting stopped while the teachers inside shielded the students with their bodies. Now THAT sir makes no sense to me!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts