Defender Source Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Looking good! Any pictures of the inside area where you cut the holes for the windows, specifically where those horizontal braces are at headrest height? Did you cut the entire brace out or was some of it left? I have to do the same job and was wondering. Still have the snorkel to sell?
That brace came out to almost .5 inch on the left and right side of my window. It was by pure chance that when I eye balled it from the outside, I hit it directly in the center of that horizontal beam. Then it just popped out when I punched on the aluminum to remove the large rectangle.

It's hard to explain other than to say it's 100x easier than expected. I made my hole by setting the window onto some cardboard and sliding a sharpie around it. Settled on my placement by eyeballing it. It worked out very well. Don't forget to order black rivets if you want them to match.

re: snorkel. It's in a spare bedroom with a ton of other parts. Not sure what I'm going to do with them. I think it's sitting with one of those vent, snow covers. I've stopped listing stuff because I don't want to ship anything honestly. That's extremely lazy, privileged or whatever. I'd rather get to meet another Defender owner in person or just hold onto it. Good luck with your windows.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Epoxy primer requirements, my climate and no availability at professional paint shops have altered my schedule.

I have not been able to find a shop in my area that will paint this truck with aftermarket paint before winter. Most places want to do full frame off or only do insurance work. The places that will do it the way I want will cost between $10K-$20K and the earliest I can get in would be December.

Don't want to be that guy with a primer project in his garage for the next 3 years so I've decided to paint it myself. Since I don't want to mix paint and black on black are usually my favorite combinations, I've decided to that in this truck. It will probably look like a super villain's ride.

At 6am in Oklahoma, the temperature in my garage is 73F. The SPI epoxy requires 65F or higher for 24 hours. I need to get this done this weekend or wait until March. Since I've switched to black and am using epoxy, I've decided to paint my wheel wells, rear chassis cross member and chassis rails in black epoxy as well. It's very strong and is gloss black. Why not?

I'll do the rear cross member with base and clear. The interior will be epoxy + thin rubber dynamat + thick foam sound deadener below carpet. That should work. More to come in this adventure...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
At about 2am this morning I'd decided I was only going to post a picture of this paint job from 50 yards away. In the dark.

That was after the epoxy primer showed every blemish and created a texture. I corrected a few spots and powered on. This is after 3 coats of base. It's exactly where I envisioned. I'm going to do 3 coats of SPI euro clear. Then I'll leave for vacation for 7 days so there will be no possibility of "meddling" while it cures.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
The clear came out better than I expected. I didn't really get my flow, speed, air pressure and distance down until the third coat. I'd also been getting ahead of my compressor a bit. Glad I got it figured out in time. Edited picture to before/after

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
If you're after anti-roll bars, go to a scrap yard and take them off of any disco1 (or if there's still some there, a RR classic), they're all the same.
whilst you're at it, take the whole rear axle off of the Disco (or RR) which will bolt straight into your 90 and give you disc rear brakes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
If you're after anti-roll bars, go to a scrap yard and take them off of any disco1 (or if there's still some there, a RR classic), they're all the same.
whilst you're at it, take the whole rear axle off of the Disco (or RR) which will bolt straight into your 90 and give you disc rear brakes.
Thanks! I've found a rear axle so far. Still looking for the sway bars. Missed new black seats in a new Range Rover.

Sent from my BE2029 using Tapatalk

41 - 47 of 47 Posts