Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the things two piece doors do is lean away from the top. So you tend to get gaps around the upper seal and a nice whistling or steady stream of water in the rain. So, earlier I had put some rubber strips to make it lean in a bit. Well worked alright for a season, but the rubber compresses.

So I went and made some tabs from thin sheet aluminum. I bent over about ¼" to make it kind of a tapered shim. I made four, one for each stud. Then I made a strip from ABS plastic sheet about 3/8" this to run between the studs and some bits for outside the studs. Torqued down the nuts and the doors now fit snugly on the top and the top of the door does not wiggle anymore.

Cheap fix, with I suspect 1,000 variations to be found in the wild.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Of all the things wrong with my truck, I don't think this is one of them :)

I recall seeing on here once that someone made a clip that hooked on the top window channel and then onto the sun visor to hold the top in at speed - of course you'd have to remember to undo it, but I guess good for long trips.

I like your idea, although I'd just 3D print something like it. If anyone wants to try this let me know and I'll give it a shot. The nice thing is you can trivially make them any thickness and size that way.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
1,001 I cranked on the door top towards the interior of the truck. Worked well.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
So one of the things two piece doors do is lean away from the top. So you tend to get gaps around the upper seal and a nice whistling or steady stream of water in the rain. So, earlier I had put some rubber strips to make it lean in a bit. Well worked alright for a season, but the rubber compresses.

So I went and made some tabs from thin sheet aluminum. I bent over about ¼" to make it kind of a tapered shim. I made four, one for each stud. Then I made a strip from ABS plastic sheet about 3/8" this to run between the studs and some bits for outside the studs. Torqued down the nuts and the doors now fit snugly on the top and the top of the door does not wiggle anymore.

Cheap fix, with I suspect 1,000 variations to be found in the wild.

Very clever...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts