Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought a 1994 Defender 90 all in great condition except for the soft top. I looked around to buy one but apparently the manufacturers went put of business and they don't make them anymore.

I can have it made in my location but it would be better if I had a template of the original so that they can make it as close as possible. Do you guys know with a template even exist? Or any provider that can make one for me and ship it to Mexico?
Thanks!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Try Badger tops if you aren’t in a big hurry (waiting list). This is the top shelf option

Try Rovers North. I think they were selling what they had left in stock and not restocking? Maybe they have some left.

Check the classifieds on here and/or post a Wanted ad. Somebody’s always selling one.

Do you have the factory Tickford/snaps, or has it been converted to belt rail?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try Badger tops if you aren’t in a big hurry (waiting list). This is the top shelf option

Try Rovers North. I think they were selling what they had left in stock and not restocking? Maybe they have some left.

Check the classifieds on here and/or post a Wanted ad. Somebody’s always selling one.

Do you have the factory Tickford/snaps, or has it been converted to belt rail?
Thank you so much for your quick response. I am a total noob on Defenders so I do not know anything about Tickford/snaps or belt rails but will do some research on that. Will try both providers and see if they have them or make them.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thank you so much for your quick response. I am a total noob on Defenders so I do not know anything about Tickford/snaps or belt rails but will do some research on that. Will try both providers and see if they have them or make them.

Thanks again!
If your soft top attaches to the tub of the truck with “snaps” it’s a Tickford. If you don’t have snaps it’s a belt rail.

94’ was the only year that came stock with a Tickford top. Some consider it desirable due it’s originality. If you want to keep it original keep the Tickford style top. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your soft top attaches to the tub of the truck with “snaps” it’s a Tickford. If you don’t have snaps it’s a belt rail.

94’ was the only year that came stock with a Tickford top. Some consider it desirable due it’s originality. If you want to keep it original keep the Tickford style top. Good luck!
Thanks again for the info. It has both, Snaps and belts here are some picsÑ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Th
Your truck is currently set up for a Tickford style top. The snaps in this location (circled in red) on the tub are the determining factor:
Thanks again, now I know what to look for.

If you are ever in the Puerto Vallarta area please let me know.

Alfonso

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
I checked my tops and all I have is a belt rail best top if you wanted to use that one as a template. You could use it, but it doesn't have the alpine windows above the rear passengers seat and you will just need to line up the new top with your snaps on your tub prior to putting the female snaps in your new top which I am sure your interior place would do regardless. Anyway shoot me a pm if your interested.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks you so much for your help and sorry for the late response. I ended up leaving the truck In the shop so that they could measure everything and build it from scratch. It is a leap of faith but I have seen their work on hight end Yachts and they are very good. I will post the end result when done. Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts