Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Hoping to find a replacement soft top for an 1994 NAS 90 in good shape. Original button setup, not the belt rail ... but happy to convert to that of the top is available and that the option.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Unless it’s your primary vehicle and you need a top ASAP I would not add a belt rail top to a surviving 94 that still has a tickford.

What’s wrong with your top?

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thought for sure. Currently top has yellow windows and rear driver corner is tearing. Another thought was to have an upholstery shop take a look at it

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
That can be fixed and the windows can be replaced.

I would start with that.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
I’d like to get my tickford refreshed. Not sure if shrinking issues can really be sorted, mine is about 1.5in short on rear. Anyone have a contact that can “refresh” these tops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shrinking issue is one that I am facing too ... had to have three guys pulling on it to get the buttons to snap, but now having issues with the zippers not moving. For sure would like to know if there is someone who “refreshes” these.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
I can’t believe that badger couldn’t reproduce these in the original style, has anyone asked?

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
I’m sure he could but probably not much of a market for it for him.

The tickford was much nicer than the bestop. Now with values on the rise, no way I would modify a 94 for a belt rail. It’s a unique feature to the year.

I would take it to a local upholstery shop and see if they can fix it or copy it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Last time I spoke with Badger, he had a pile of used Tickford tops as he was the warranty wizard for LRNA. I’m sure he could fix anything related to those tops. Not speaking for him, just assuming...

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dropped by an upholstery shop today and was quoted $1600 to build a new top out of "jeep material" ... which doesn't give me tons of hope. Has anyone ever just modified a Badger or Rovers North top by adding snap buttons? Surely it couldn't be that easy right?

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
I think I would want to know what Jeep material is.

I mean he can use your truck and the tickford as a template. If it’s twillfast you can end up with something nice.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I’d like to get my tickford refreshed. Not sure if shrinking issues can really be sorted, mine is about 1.5in short on rear. Anyone have a contact that can “refresh” these tops?

I recently found a Tickford that had hardly been used. It too was short so what I did was drape towels over the areas that I wanted to stretch and poured very hot buckets of water on the towels and let them bake slowly in the sun for a couple hours before pulling.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Mine is not terrible but it’s pretty stiff from the years of sitting. If Badger reproduced a Tickford like top, I’d be interested.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys! I went ahead and picked up the top from Zack. Thanks for the heads up @1of40!! Appreciate it ... now to find a belt rail kit

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Zack sells the belt rail kit.

Just please use the proper rivets when installing it. I think the kit comes with garbage sheet metal screws.

I’m crying for your truck as you drill these holes.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@bjf will do. I solemnly swear. And I will too ? unfortunately I will need to have the truck out of the garage for periods of time so I can’t wait around for a unicorn tickford top to pop up ... of course just my luck someone will roll up with one tomorrow. Thank you for your guidance! Ill post up a photo after I’m done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts