Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got a Vitamix Professional Series CIA (Culinary Institute of America) branded blender for my birthday, and it comes with a booklet of recipes, but if anyone has a favorite recipe for (especially) smoothies, post them up. I've never done the whole raw foods thing, but my brother in Asheville had for years, and I'd be curious to try a few favorites with this new blender.

I've found a few good online recipes, but most of the sites I find are holier than though in their wording about their lifestyle choices, and I really just want some BS free sites with recipes and no story line...sort of like those adult movies Neil watches.

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/category/green-smoothie-questions/

Attachments

·
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hahaha - although the original intention for this is NOT for alcohol-related drinks, I'm sure it will be used as such at some point. I meant more like I used to get some great smoothies at the Lifethyme Market by me, but they were $10-12 a pop!! Tonight I think I'm going to do:

2 bananas
2 cups mixed frozen berries (strawberries, blue, raspberries)
1 cup granola
1 cup soy milk

and see how that turns out. Here are some of the shakes they have up on the board.

**Protein Shake organic soy milk or organic rice milk, organic bananas, organic strawberries or organic blueberries, any protein powder, spirulina and granola

**Designer Protein organic rice milk, organic strawberries or organic blueberries, organic bananas and whey protein

**Immune Booster organic carrot, organic beet, liquid b-complex, echinacea or goldenseal complex, vitamin-c powder, spirulina, organic banana, organic ginger & organic garlic

**Eye Opener organic apple juice, organic wheatgrass, organic pineapple, organic banana & bee pollen

**The Cleansing Cocktail organic wheatgrass, organic carrot, organic apple, organic celery & organic beet.

**The Mood Changer organic kale, organic apple & organic lemon and organic ginger

**Banana Strawberry Orange organic orange juice, organic banana & organic strawberries

**Fire, Fire organic apple, organic lemon & organic ginger, cayenne pepper (optional)

**Sweet Christine sweet organic carrots, organic apples, organic beets, organic lemon & organic ginger, organic pineapple

**Green Forest all fresh organic celery, organic lemon, organic kale, organic collard greens, organic ginger and organic green chard

**Green Champagne all fresh organic celery, organic kale, organic collard greens, organic green chard, organic apples, organic lemon, organic ginger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I can't believe I'm posting about smoothies here.

We have the same Vitamix and love it. It does have a break in period so read that page of the book- takes a few minutes but not a big deal. Don't rinoline the base- that's just wrong.

Freeze the fruit before you blend it. So much easier. If you like coconut, use coconut water instead of tap or bottle- the added electrolytes are great.

I hide kale, spinach and anything else my children won't eat in a milkshake. If in doubt, put an apple in there- it will mask almost anything. And chia seeds turn into a gelatinous weirdness- so be prepared.

I do a almond butter smoothie that reminds me of a sandwich- frozen cherries (or other frozen fruit), coconut milk, almond butter.

Makes great hot chocolate on the soup setting. As well as salad dressings.

·
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Freeze the fruit before you blend it.
Even bananas?

I can't believe I'm posting about smoothies here.
:)

We have the same Vitamix and love it. It does have a break in period so read that page of the book- takes a few minutes but not a big deal.
Yeah it was freaking EXPENSIVE, but I'm of the mindset (as I'm sure many others are) that you buy something right the first time and it'll last a long time. They had really high consumer ratings, a 7 year warranty (and a ton of people I've read have had theirs 7-12 years at this point!!), and the customer service (according to online reviews) is apparently pretty good.

I was also looking at the Omega for $150 less and the Blendtec which was priced the same as Vitamix, but Bed Bath and Beyond was only carrying Vmix in the stores. With the 20% off BBB coupon, it doesn't make sense to buy something like this anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Even bananas. But peel them and at least half them first. You can use ice with unfrozen fruit but it will water down your drink- hence the freeze the fruit first. Bananas, pineapple and coconut milk are another favorite. We don't do dairy or gluten in our house- hence the coconut milk.

If you do any powders in it start it blending and add the powder once it speeds up. Helps keep it from sticking to the sides.

Makes great marinades for steak and ribs. As well as homemade mayonnaise.

You'll use it a lot more then you think since it's so super easy to deal with. I blend water and some dish soap in it after oil based stuff to make washing it easier. It's not dishwasher safe, only real drawback I've found.

Pancake/waffle mix, cake batter...

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Better with a juicer but I like Apple, Carrot, Ginger, Beet & Lemon. I bought a juicer last year and used it for a while but got sick of the noise and clean up. So I started buying a case of BluePrint juices from Whole Foods each week and haven't looked back. They're Raw & Organic.

http://blueprintjuice.com/

I would avoid anything with Soy. All Soy grown in the US is genetically modified. We have no idea of the long-term ramifications of GM foods. I would go with Almond or Rice milk.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Even bananas?

Just buy bags of frozen, organic fruit at Whole Foods each week. You don't have to worry about spoilage or cutting up anything. And all the berry stems of are cut off for you already. They have a pretty good selection. Not sure about frozen bananas though...

·
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shopping list for Whole Foods (conveniently a block from work) today for experimentation throughout the week. Hopefully most of this stuff can be frozen, or already is.

Frozen Blue/Rasp-Berries
Frozen Strawberries
Frozen Cherries
Bananas
Apples
Pineapple
Papaya cut into chunks
Pears
Mangos
Kiwis

Coconut Water
Honey
Granola
Ground Flaxseed
Yogurt – non-fat
Almond Butter

Kale
Ginger!
Spinach
Carrot
Celery
Wheatgrass (probably not)
Beet (probably not)

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
There goes $150.00 of your hard earned money! All in the name of health...next you'll be driving a Volvo cause the D90 is unsafe!!

·
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Attachments

·
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I don't have any great recipes but coconut milk ( the kind in the can ) is a great ingredient for getting some good fat in your smoothie + it really helps thicken it up. All my smoothies start with coconut milk (not the sugary boxed kind CAN only) or coconut yogurt.

The most expensive tool you buy is the one you buy twice. Might as well get the good one the first time around.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
So I got a Vitamix Professional Series CIA (Culinary Institute of America) branded blender for my birthday, and it comes with a booklet of recipes, but if anyone has a favorite recipe for (especially) smoothies, post them up. I've never done the whole raw foods thing, but my brother in Asheville had for years, and I'd be curious to try a few favorites with this new blender.

I've found a few good online recipes, but most of the sites I find are holier than though in their wording about their lifestyle choices, and I really just want some BS free sites with recipes and no story line...sort of like those adult movies Neil watches.

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/category/green-smoothie-questions/
just buy veg and fruits in a range of colours and blend ... watch the movie 'fat, sick and nearly dead'

1 - 20 of 23 Posts