Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Defender 110 - FFR
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My camping buddy has a 109 with the 2.25 Diesel.

When we caravan to a campsite he always takes the lead since he is the slowest.

His beautiful series truck is a bit smokey to follow :(

Any suggestions for clearing the air between us before camping season?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
How fast the 109 traveling when you're behind him?
If the fueling is turned up, reducing it will make the 2.25 even slower.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
nature of the beast, it is a 1960's naturally aspirated farm tractor engine fitted to a road legal vehicle. the CAV injection pump basically dumps fuel by design, it is not until the later bosh FI pumps where fuel was actually metered as needed.
as stated by Rdavis, if you lean it to reduce smoke, you reduce power and vice-versa.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Let's not beat up on CAV diesel injection, it has been used on bazillions of engines all over the world and plenty are still in use. Smoking needs to be diagnosed. What color is the smoke? Black, Grey? White? How much? On acceleration, deceleration? Tough to make general statements without more info.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Let's not beat up on CAV diesel injection, it has been used on bazillions of engines all over the world and plenty are still in use. Smoking needs to be diagnosed. What color is the smoke? Black, Grey? White? How much? On acceleration, deceleration? Tough to make general statements without more info.
I'm not beating on CAV, it is a great IP which is still in use on cummins 4bt under "Stanadyne CAV."
my comment is based on the application on a 2.25 NA engine and it's function to flood chambers to produce power. this leads to lots of smoke, specially if timing happens to be a bit off.

2.25 engine NA or turbo was designed for use masey fergusson tractors later adapted to road use.
yes a bullet proof engine but underperforming at best, in highway attire.

My comment was misunderstood.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Carlos, Looks like you are in Florida, should be flat and relatively an easy go. The 2,25 needs to be timed very carefully starting with the slop taken out at the drive gear for the pump. A worn and stretched belt and worn gears can also cause timing issues.
Make sure the air intake is not restricted either.
LR made a timing tool #605863, for the 2.25D to take up the slack at the drive gear. Hard to find, I will loan mine out or sell it for what I paid for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Carlos, Looks like you are in Florida, should be flat and relatively an easy go. The 2,25 needs to be timed very carefully starting with the slop taken out at the drive gear for the pump. A worn and stretched belt and worn gears can also cause timing issues.
Make sure the air intake is not restricted either.
LR made a timing tool #605863, for the 2.25D to take up the slack at the drive gear. Hard to find, I will loan mine out or sell it for what I paid for it.
out of curiosity. Do you still have the timing tool #605863? I would be interested in purchasing it from you. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts