Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Rebuilding my sliding glass windows on my 1985 Defender 110, and the bottom plastic runner was cracked and broken so I bought a new one (part number MWC7612) and as you can see the wall thickness is crazy different and there’s NO WAY I can get the glass into the channel.

Left one: Brand new
Middle one: Dremeled out and sanded the inside (still won’t fit)
Right side: old one

Did I get the wrong part? The shape looks a little different. I also tried WD-40 and soap, no luck. Can ANYONE help?

Thank you community!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Garrison Outfitters has a kit that includes the tracks. Check out their webpage. I have installed their kits on my '94's sliding front and rear windows. They work great and don't rattle.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Garrison Outfitters has a kit that includes the tracks. Check out their webpage. I have installed their kits on my '94's sliding front and rear windows. They work great and don't rattle.
Their kit of for the felt replacement in the upper & side section, which I also bought and have ready to go (no problems there). This is for the lower plastic runner that does not come in their kit or he doesn't sell. I bought the MWC7612 plastic runner from Art at Ukarauto as he had in stock.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am I the only one that has encountered this problem? No one knows? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought a pair of new runners. They are clearly too wide. I went ahead and rebuilt the balance of the window with a garrison kit and ended up putting back in the original runners. I assumed the wider ones were a later puma style but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same problem when I bought a pair of new runners. They are clearly too wide. I went ahead and rebuilt the balance of the window with a garrison kit and ended up putting back in the original runners. I assumed the wider ones were a later puma style but I don't know for sure.
Damn, I wish I didn't toss the crumbled mess of the old ones.... Now I don't know what to do....

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call rovers north. I’m sure this is a know problem.
Unfortunately I’ve called and talked to several of the sales guys and they don’t have a clue. I also called LRparts and John Craddock in the UK today and neither of them knew of a solution either, and said they rarely hear people replacing these plastic cracked runners.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I encountered the same problem about 10 years ago with my ‘85 110. Glass thickness on early trucks was 5mm and switched to 4mm in 1987. Unfortunately, the early spec bottom runner, part MTC8947, has been NLA for a long time. The later bottom runner, part MWC7612, is made for 4mm glass and thus too narrow. I’ve been trying to find an alternative since 2012. I wonder if something could be 3D printed, or perhaps some flocked rubber channel would work.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's been the most information I have been able to receive from anyone, from any forum, from any LR Parts distributer (I tried them all). Thank you for at least making me feel I haven't gone bat crazy. At least now I know I can't save myself the efforts and just buy the right part... I'll keep grinding and sanding. Cheers

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I’m also concerned about the Garrison window kit if the Drag will be too tight as that too was probably made for 4mm glass.
I just had the glass tinted at an expense, so I’ll keep testing it out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
I had the same issue, same sanding solution. No issue with Garrison part, just lower runner. I’d love a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't have any experience with this, but is it possible that hot water would allow you to reshape it? Maybe then you could gently wedge the window in while it cooled and hardened to an acceptable width?

Like you would a football mouth guard, although clearly this not the same material.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I assume the older thicker window is why my windows do not move after I rebuilt them!
they were 5 mm & RN had no idea.
It's so strange no one had a clue, from a single rover parts seller in the US or UK. Glad the forum came to the rescue. I've been using a my angle grinder with a 50grit disc slowly thinning the walls on the inside and outside and it's almost there. 😅

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Three four years ago new windows were so expensive, repairing was a smart way forward.
Right now, I’m not so sure that’s still true.
True, done again I’d probably buy new but since then I’ve repainted the frames and bought all new seals, filler strips, Garrison kit, window locks, and tinted the windows so I’m pretty deep in. Probably not again 🤦🏼‍♂️😅

Reactions: Rocky
1 - 18 of 18 Posts