Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the MCX? Been considering the 300 SBR assuming I can find one. image-2101743479.jpg

·
Registered
444 Posts
Neat gun.

And yeah, stuff is tough to find. I've been waiting for a BCM 9" SBR in 300 blackout to come in for months. Local dealer has basically been sold out of BCM stuff ever since Florida.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Omar Mateen liked his. Too soon?
Strong Raub, strong...

No experience with the MCX, the MPX is on my list of wants.

Have had good luck with building 300BLK pistols for a friend to provide good stopping power in a compact frame w/o the complication of the tax stamp. Upside to the Sig of course is the folder. Caliber seems decent, I refuse to shift off 5.56 but that's b/c I'm sworn to only having a couple of calibers in the inventory and no confusion on magazines.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Strong Raub, strong...

No experience with the MCX, the MPX is on my list of wants.

Have had good luck with building 300BLK pistols for a friend to provide good stopping power in a compact frame w/o the complication of the tax stamp. Upside to the Sig of course is the folder. Caliber seems decent, I refuse to shift off 5.56 but that's b/c I'm sworn to only having a couple of calibers in the inventory and no confusion on magazines.
Once you set up a trust the stamps aren't that big of a burden - just a pain in the ass to wait for. For home defense you probably really want a silencer unless you are confident with keeping electronic hearing protection handy and therefore need one anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Once you set up a trust the stamps aren't that big of a burden - just a pain in the ass to wait for. For home defense you probably really want a silencer unless you are confident with keeping electronic hearing protection handy and therefore need one anyway.
The burden I don't want to deal with is when you cross state lines on a regular basis and while I guess I could draft a blanket notification letter for the ATF, that seems unnecessary given the functionality of an AR pistol.

A suppressor would def be a useful investment at some point for sure, and one that I'd make long before bothering with an SBR given the legality of the brace these days that makes PDW sized weapons feasible w/o paying $200 for a stock on an inherently uncomfortable and only relatively accurate weapon.

As far as sound goes, in the meantime I'll just point out I've never passed a hearing test in the Marine Corps so the 2nd order effects of extremely loud noise in close confines is a risk that I've long since embraced.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
As far as sound goes, in the meantime I'll just point out I've never passed a hearing test in the Marine Corps so the 2nd order effects of extremely loud noise in close confines is a risk that I've long since embraced.
quick derail...
Are these any good??
https://www.amazon.com/3M-TacticalPro-Communications-MT15H7F-SV/dp/B0006968YM

I'm not shootin' that much these days, but when I do, I go to a private OUTDOOR range.
Usually on a Friday and I'm almost always the only one there...

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
quick derail...
Are these any good??
https://www.amazon.com/3M-TacticalPro-Communications-MT15H7F-SV/dp/B0006968YM

I'm not shootin' that much these days, but when I do, I go to a private OUTDOOR range.
Usually on a Friday and I'm almost always the only one there...

I'm a fan of peltor, those may be overkill-we typically rock these (the 6S):
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B00009363P/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1471964507&sr=1-5&keywords=peltor
I have heard good things about these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2SQDSG384F6PP&coliid=I2GOVX6IF4SJYT&psc=1
But haven't had the need to try them yet-though with Izzy on the range now in her own right she wants some active muffs and I'm a fan of them to help with safety and awareness-& since O already has a set of peltors Izzy demands them too as the old pink non active's are not sufficient. (just like she demanded a scope after O was talking **** about accuracy post going to glass...there are worse things to see them compete about)
2016-07-02 19.00.34.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
I have a few pairs of the Howard Leight model. They work fine but I also always double up and use foam earplugs. I think I used them solo once and they worked ok.
I'm with Ray on caliber simplicity, less is more.

------ Follow up post added August 23rd, 2016 08:43 AM ------

That mod is counterintuitive if you own more than one gun in my book.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Those binary triggers just seem dangerous. What happens if there's a condition in between shots that makes discharging the second shot unsafe? Is there a way to make the weapon safe?

No input on the MCX, but I do love my 10.5" .300 AR. Definitely a nice addition to the collection.

-Ash

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Those binary triggers just seem dangerous. What happens if there's a condition in between shots that makes discharging the second shot unsafe? Is there a way to make the weapon safe?

I had the same thinking on that, It does say in the video if you get a jam or the you hold the trigger and unload. It is not something I would want get.

No input on the MCX, but I do love my 10.5" .300 AR. Definitely a nice addition to the collection.

-Ash
I had the same thinking on that, It does say in the video if you get a jam or the you hold the trigger and unload. It is not something I would want get.

Its that the 300 blackout your running Ash?

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Haha that sounds like a very sketchy process.

Yes, it's a very fun platform, and the fact that the barrel is the only 'special' part means I won't ever be dealing with trying to source any funky proprietary parts in the future. It's definitely a more expensive round to shoot, but that's given me more initiative in getting into reloading on my own.

-Ash

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
Ok here I go

The MCX while " Tacticool " not a reliable piece.

I am going to go against the " General ( Ray ) " and " Ahi ( Dave ) " assessment on the caliber thingy, but slapping a 300BLK on an existing AR is a child's game and quite effective if you will suppress ( any decent 9mm can will do fine ) , and if 9mm Carbine is your thing, nothing better than an AR-9 or my favorite ......an UZI

Hearing protection , the $ 25.00 EP3,4,7 do a wonderful job and better than those bulky E muffs, specially on the move

Lastly, for you haters on the trigger groups, I have Tac-Con 3 on 3 firearms without a glitch, then I added the FA Binary to another, and not an issue over 1500 rounds fired ( now if you plan to put it on a Walmart S&W AR , you deserve the outcome :) )

I have even tried the Echo , fires when pulled and when reset, that one jammed on me multiple times, apparently I overrun the bolt by going too fast

With the Tac-Con, I have achieved 580-620 rxm, remember my M16 does 750-970 rxm, so I say, is pretty much on the money and cost only $ 400.00 sans stamp

A Magpul drum compliments the set up just right

phewww that was a lot of typing ha ha

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
There you have it. The most interesting man in the world has taken the time to write that much; the issue is settled.

Though I would suggest we return back to the OP and ask the question posed in the famous book Goose recently ghost wrote via dictation: "Start with Why"

Why the Sig, and why 300BLK, are both very pertinent questions...

...but regardless Goose knows I'm keeping my MK262 77gr OTM that does just fine on its own, and I'm quite comfortable moving with the 6S's...they even work well with a cut out bump helmet and such!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Start with Why" Why the Sig, and why 300BLK, are both very pertinent questions...
Ultimately I am looking for a good pig rifle. The reason I like the 300 blackout is it has decent stoping power to weight. I typically don't need more than 100 yard range. I like running the subsonic with a can. Because I hunt at night and walk through fields I like the size and weight (under 7 lbs) advertised for the MCX SBR. I am open to other suggestions though. If reliability is not there, that's a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Ultimately I am looking for a good pig rifle. The reason I like the 300 blackout is it has decent stoping power to weight. I typically don't need more than 100 yard range. I like running the subsonic with a can. Because I hunt at night and walk through fields I like the size and weight (under 7 lbs) advertised for the MCX SBR. I am open to other suggestions though. If reliability is not there, that's a problem.
300BLK is a perfect round for that application-though for the money you'd throw at the Sig I'd seriously consider just getting a decent upper/lower and SBR'ing them and throwing a can on. Can't go wrong with a BCM lower for the price, and quite frankly their 9" upper isn't a bad deal either-but I'm admittedly a bit BCM biased, that is unless you want the folding stock and such which doesn't sound like it's a requirement for you.
r-
Ray

1 - 18 of 18 Posts