Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Depends on how you fix it. The 'correct' way to fix it would be to install a new shuttle valve kit which is probably around $800. The cheap way is to bypass the bad connection in the modulator. Look around on the internet and you will find lots of write ups on how to do this. I would recommend getting new shuttle valve switches because the wire insulation will almost certainly be cracked and falling off.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
Ben - it has been written up many times to do the fix. You can do it - I did it :)

It is the ABS modulator, there is a "jumper" connection you need to make in the ABS itself, so take off brake lines, disassemble ABS - do fix, reassemble, bleed, clear codes - DRIVE.

Do a google search - it is out there easy to find.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
There is no need to remove any brake lines to do any of the repairs unless you are replacing the complete modulator.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the difference between the $80-95 shuttle valve kit and the one with "switches" that costs 10 times that? I know that the more expensive one comes with the "switches" but since I have never taken an ABS unit apart before I don't really know much about it. My 90 doesn't have abs or a computer and I pretty much just used the ebrake on my D1.
Can I be sure based on the 114 code that the cheaper kit will fix the issue rather than needing the switches?

I don't really care that the three amigo lights are on, it's the red "brake light" that causes it to fail inspection that I would like to fix once and for all. If it's $80-90 and an afternoon of me drinking a cool beverage in the shade while telling my little brother the lawyer how to fix it I am fine with buying the part.

Thanks for all the responses, I can't imagine trying to keep up with answering a bunch of other people's questions in my free time. Not that I know enough to give advice anyway! It is greatly appreciated and has really helped with my tendency to always assume the worst case when something goes wrong.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
You don't even really need the kit I listed. You can do it for less than $10 with a trailer wiring kit

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
There is no need to remove any brake lines to do any of the repairs unless you are replacing the complete modulator.
Good to know...I just followed the directions on YouTube and that is what it said to do. Ben go for it. Enjoy the beers

If you don't want to do it I think you can find guys like Randy, maybe Trevor, who have them already done.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't mind doing it, I just hate getting into a project like this and having to stop and order more parts and have it stretch out for weeks on end. But, If it is going to require the more expensive of the parts I am inclined to let it go and just keep clearing the code.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Get the cheap switches that go on the bottom of the modulator. You can test them with a multimeter, but I would just replace them. You'll see when you take it apart, the wire insulation will be falling apart.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I like the cheap fix! But I also like having the part in hand just in case the cheap fix doest work. Then silly side projects don't eat up anymore Defender than absolutely necessary!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts