Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Series III 109 with a 2.25 L NA three bearing in it and of course he's as pokey as a turtle. I'd like to get him where I can get him to 55 easily on Overseas Highway. The engine is great actually but I'm tired of one finger salutes. Any advice? 200 TDI? 300? Is my current engine worth anything in a swap?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I would say 200tdi might be the best bet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loving the sticker! Grew up in Tampa - had the "I-75 goes both ways" and "We don't care how you did it up North" stickers on the cars.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking that overdrive will be the ticket. I don't want to spend a mint (this truck is a pure toy and won't be restored (I already made that mistake with another vehicle and was afraid to take it off road). My soon to be 16 yo wants to drive it because his friends think it's cool - another reason not to restore him as he might end up in a few scrapes.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
No offence but if your 16 year old is about to drive a tank you may consider keeping the same engine. If you do decide to swap I'd be interested in it. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I really don't want to swap engines, I just need the vehicle to be able to get up to highway speeds in a reasonable amount of time, which down here is 55 mph.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
I was somewhat in your situation late last year and I'm currently going through the swap process. I started by buying an engine, trans and tcase to replace an original 2.5na drive train. My "plan", based primarily on what I had read up on, asked around and observed from other's stories, was to simply pull the old and do a straightforward bolt-in install. The reality, which is tough to see when you are wrapped up in all the bromance, is these are old lumps, there are no guarantees so it feels a shame not to refresh many many things before it goes back in. Nobody will be holding a gun to your head to replace stuff but if you don't you might just shoot yourself later. Using nice round numbers, if $10k is a number you're comfortable with then you should do it and if you blow the budget by 10%-20% just drive it more and enjoy it longer.

Clay

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$10K is not in the cards right now, not with my husband's boat. I'm kind of liking the overdrive idea.

·
Premium Member
13,804 Posts
2.25 diesel may not be able to pull that truck with the taller gearing of an overdrive. Lack of torque/power is your problem not gearing. 2.25 diesel was a horrible engine in the best of times, 40 years later....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Part of my fears... I may just continue to tick everyone off then. Overseas highway is a parking lot on the weekends anyway. Not going anywhere very fast.

------ Follow up post added July 11th, 2015 10:11 AM ------

Uncle Douglas, what should I drop in him? I'm totally against going petrol.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
The overdrive isn't going to give you more power, only lower engine rpm at any given speed. It's not going to help acceleration or maintaining a speed after you eventually get there as your limiting factor will be the power available from a na diesel engine.
The lesser expensive option is likely going to be fitting a 2.25/2.5 gasoline engine with a little more cam and more carb, but as you mentioned you are not fond of gasoline... I guess that leaves you with fitting a 200TDi!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the insight. Will a 200tdi fit to my tranny or am I basically looking at a new drivetrain?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got rid of my gorgeous CJ7 because of the V8. He's not that nice, maybe worth $7000 at most right now. He's pretty solid, but not fixed up.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Apologies if i gave you bad advice about the OD. I only have experience with the gas 2.25l and an overdrive made a big difference if you want to cruise at 55-60mph without trying to push the gas pedal through the floor. I stand by the sticker recommendation though!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts