Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I wanted to get some ideas about what to do with a nut case of a neighbor. We bought a “project” house and it needs a lot of TLC. For the most part she does not bother me.
Since September I have only seen her outside twice. She complained to me both times.
1. She told me to tear down my 2 car garage because it is on her property according to Google Maps………
2. She complained about the “noises” I make, whether it’s a lawn mower, tiller, pressure washer, etc.
She has filed 20+ complaints since we bought the house (4 in the month of May alone). Usually the cops stop by and I give them a bottle of water or in some case deer meat. I went to the building department and pulled a fence permit and the inspector let me know she is going to cause problems with the fence (I am putting it within my property in accordance with the rules).
The only issue I have with her is she has a “motion activated dog barker”. It is set to “bark” when I walk near her property while 15 feet within my line or when her alarm is set it goes on constantly. This Friday she left for the weekend and it “barked” constantly from Friday until Sunday night when she got home.
When the inspector comes to check my building, and electrical I am going to have him check it out. I might not have a complaint if it does not reach a certain decibel. Josh, Dan, and others on this forum have heard it. It is not loud but annoying. I might be able to file a complaint for constant noise (over three hours). A few neighbors have made suggestions how to have fun. All the other neighbors told me about her issues after we bough the house, she has been causing problems for 20+ years.
What would you guys do?
PS: She is a shrink.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
move ... now you know why you got a good price

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Well, unless there are homeowner's association, town or county covenants regarding construction restrictions on your property, I would just go and do whatever you gotta do. If putting up an 8 foot high fence to block her from your view is in that plan, and you are within your legal right to do so, i would build it pronto.
As for complaints, clearly she has been crying wolf for some time before you came along. If the cops are coming to investigate and you are not engaged in illegal activity, they will sooner or later figure out that you are being targeted and stop responding.
I would try simply ignoring her. When she addresses you walk away, go inside, whatever. Bullies like her will tire of someone from whom they cannot get a rise and look elsewhere for victims.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
She'll stroke out on the stress...I'd leave it be as it is obviously bothering her more because she's troubling you.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
- first take out the dog barker - a nicely placed round from a .22 should do the trick!
- second screw with her, all within your rights of course...like park your 110 in your yeard, close to the property line...just stress her out
- thirdly, all else fails - what Jason said.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, unless there are homeowner's association, town or county covenants regarding construction restrictions on your property, I would just go and do whatever you gotta do. If putting up an 8 foot high fence to block her from your view is in that plan, and you are within your legal right to do so, i would build it pronto.
As for complaints, clearly she has been crying wolf for some time before you came along. If the cops are coming to investigate and you are not engaged in illegal activity, they will sooner or later figure out that you are being targeted and stop responding.
I would try simply ignoring her. When she addresses you walk away, go inside, whatever. Bullies like her will tire of someone from whom they cannot get a rise and look elsewhere for victims.
Building department can cite her for 3 violations.........

1. Sound reproduction systems that annoy others
2. Constant animal sound
3. Having an audible alarm on for more than 20 minutes

------ Follow up post added June 3rd, 2013 10:36 AM ------

- first take out the dog barker - a nicely placed round from a .22 should do the trick!
- second screw with her, all within your rights of course...like park your 110 in your yeard, close to the property line...just stress her out
- thirdly, all else fails - what Jason said.

Dog barker is inside the house....

My other neighbor offered to lend me his kiddie pool and a couple of his stripper friends. He said we can watch them bathe and rock out to loud classical music.

------ Follow up post added June 3rd, 2013 10:37 AM ------

She'll stroke out on the stress...I'd leave it be as it is obviously bothering her more because she's troubling you.

this lady is a nut job. She is in her fifties and her mom (in her 80's) drives her to and from work everyday....

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I bought my house 11 years ago and the elderly couple that lived next door were wonderful to start. Two years later, the husband dies of lung cancer and she became a crotchety old biddy complaining about everything and anything i did. The worst part was that I felt really bad for her living alone and although she had children that were local, none of them came by but only occassionally (probably to get money). I tried to visualize her as if it were my mother and she were living alone and how I'd want her neighbor to treat her. So, I by default and happily plowing her driveway, checking on her during storms etc.

No good deed goes unpunished. She starts complaining because I removed shitty pine trees that were hanging over my house. Then she complains because there were dying hemlock trees on my property that she didn't like looking at. I figured just be nice and give her permission to cut them down. She calls my house leaving messages asking me to pick up leaves that blew onto her property from mine (like I can control that in the fall in new england).

She hires a tree company to take down trees on my property (that actually gave me privacy).....and has the audacity to send me the bill!!!!

Then, I file all the proper permits to build a clay tennis court (even worked with an engineer - which wasnt' a requirement but wanted to make sure there would be no setback or zoning issues) and she called the local building inspector weekly during the 5-6 months it was ongoing. It got to the point where the building inspector basically would call me up and laugh with me about her.

My wife eventually gave her an earful when she called the house at 8pm one night asking if I could call the power company because she had no electricity. Wifey lost her temper on her and screamed at her telling her to never call the house again. For the next two years we never heard anything from her.

She proceeded to try to sell her house over the 2007-2011 period always asking 2X what the property was worth, eventually capitulating to a reasonable price in 2011 coincedentally selling the property to a family I have known for 20 years (went to high school with and raced amatuer MX with the husband). Couldn't be happier now :) It's awesome, our kids play together, we share tools etc. its all good!

My point is that people like this absolutely THRIVE OFF OF DRAMA. Any interaction whatsoever only rewards them. You have to completely shut her out. put up the tallest fence allowed by zoning, then line the lot line with Arbor Vitea or something. There is nothing you can or could to to please her so don't bother trying.

Moreover, don't stress over it. life is too short to try to please miserable people. If you feel that she is (or could be) agressive to the point where she would tresspass and vandalize or something, get a web-cam. Pull all the proper permits when you do anything around the house and keep freindly with the local inspectional services (building inspector). They (and the police) will get sick of listening to her complaints and only check on you because they are required to.

She will eventually die a lonely, miserable woman and since she probably has no family that cares about her, you can buy her house from the estate for pennies on the dollar.

------ Follow up post added June 3rd, 2013 10:44 AM ------

....or you could pay some sketchy drug dealer to introduce her to crystal meth and hopefully hasten her demise. Jus Sayin

....Oh, and the old lady in my story......died in a nursing home about six months ago. Miserable until the very last breath, I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the fence permit which I know will piss her off. She has a tiny lot (big house) and when I put up the fence it will openly show the property line from the street. Her house is 5' off the line and with the arborvites she has along with the fence (3 inches off the line) it will make it impossible for her to walk on that side of the property.

The police have came to my house many times, the building inspector does call me and laugh. He warned me about the fence and the issue it is going to cause.

On this street most of the men (about 6 of them) get up at 5-6 am when it snows and everybody does everybody elses sidewalks and driveways (I think men just like to play with snowblowers) it has been like this for 20 years. I didn't do my driveway once last year.

Nobody touches hers. I really don't want to file a complaint but it looks like it is my only option. I know after I do this that every party we have we will have police stopping by.

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
I want to party with your neighbor with the stripper friends.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I didn't know you lived near Neal

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I got the fence permit which I know will piss her off. She has a tiny lot (big house) and when I put up the fence it will openly show the property line from the street. Her house is 5' off the line and with the arborvites she has along with the fence (3 inches off the line) it will make it impossible for her to walk on that side of the property.

The police have came to my house many times, the building inspector does call me and laugh. He warned me about the fence and the issue it is going to cause.

On this street most of the men (about 6 of them) get up at 5-6 am when it snows and everybody does everybody elses sidewalks and driveways (I think men just like to play with snowblowers) it has been like this for 20 years. I didn't do my driveway once last year.

Nobody touches hers. I really don't want to file a complaint but it looks like it is my only option. I know after I do this that every party we have we will have police stopping by.
As long as you're not doing anything crazy illegal at your parties (I don't know how you roll), but cops usually don't give a **** if adults are having a good time being reasonable. Invite the cops in an give them some fresh coffee....unless of course you've invited Neil and there are illegal Estonian strippers ripping lines on your coffee table.

be assured that nobody like a miserable douche (not even cops).....and don't even get me started on people in the behavioral health profession (they are almost always damaged individuals that have haev no earthly business trying to help others with their "issues").

Go about your business and just don't let her bother you. Fence the property line and things will get better eventually.

·
Premium Member
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As long as you're not doing anything crazy illegal at your parties (I don't know how you roll), but cops usually don't give a **** if adults are having a good time being reasonable. Invite the cops in an give them some fresh coffee....unless of course you've invited Neil and there are illegal Estonian strippers ripping lines on your coffee table.

be assured that nobody like a miserable douche (not even cops).....and don't even get me started on people in the behavioral health profession (they are almost always damaged individuals that have haev no earthly business trying to help others with their "issues").

Go about your business and just don't let her bother you. Fence the property line and things will get better eventually.
Cops are real good in our town. Parties are judged usually if they can be easlity heard from the street after midnight. Fence is already on order. I just need to decide to file the complaint or not. I could leave a note on the door with a copy of the town laws and see where that goes.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Yeah everything pretty much boils down to Whats the Mission and Whats the Motivator...define those and there you go. Remember it's a non lethal Mission! (two go out one comes back...lol)

·
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
16,553 Posts
Whenever you decide to have a house/yard party at your place, just go to the bum-fight bar down the street a few hours beforehand and tell the bartender you'll pay for the bar tab of that one dude who is always fighting everyone. The cops will be so busy responding to that bar, that they won't even have time to come over to your place. I'll chip in $10.

Then we can light up the rest of those fireworks. :july4:evilfinge

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
There is a website that my girlfriend found that will send a package of dog, gorilla, elephant and another species of fecal matter (not all in one package) to any address that you give them. They take payment and then when they send the package out all the information the receiver will see or get is the website. The company makes it very clear on their site that who ever makes the purchase will not have any information about them attached to said package.

1 - 20 of 363 Posts