Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the best/cheapest way to ship some seats from private party from the UK to Wisconsin. Covid-19 is definitely throwing this all for a loop but getting these seats from UK is really the only option if I want them at all they are discontinued colors/options that US never got.

So for those that have shipped big things like seats, engines, transmissions, doors etc how have you done it?

I know businesses are shipping these things daily across the pound but since I'm buying them used from a private party it seems to limit my options. Anyone have an in an in at company in the UK that could take delivery of my seats from persons in UK and then send them along to me? Or any exporter on here that has room in a cargo container etc I could tag along on?

I'm wanting to get 2 front seats and then 4 rear cargo flip up seats for a 110 over to me.

Thanks for any leads!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
DHL can do this, and shouldn’t be too difficult for the seller as long as there’s a drop-off site near to them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The front seats in are in Cornwall, the rear flip ups I'm waiting on exact location and dimensions

Edit: Fancy that both sets are in Cornwall. So Anyone in/near cornwall or with and US import going through there got some space in a container/box???

·
Registered
722 Posts
I ordered some stuff from YRM and they did their part and shipped out the next day. They have been sitting in Knoxville for over a week now with no update available on when I might get my package. Anyway, I have had this happen before with Fedex but never happen with DHL.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried on my end and postal quotes are above a 1000 pounds!!! Or they say its ineligible. Not having shipped many big things and never through freight the DHL and the like aren't the easiest to navigate for me. On their end the seller has tried a few comparison sites and with exact details quotes are jumping to 3x their quick bids or whatever they call them

·
Premium Member
13,599 Posts
DHL will often hand off to the US Postal Service depending on parcel size. Our geographic location is such that this happens with pretty much anything dhl. Typically once with the USPS you cannot track it.

To the original question. The cheapest way I have found to get items over from the UK is Ebays global shipping loophole. If a UK seller lists something to be eligible to ship via this mechanism it ships over cheaply. Ebay does this to facilitate foreign buyers on their auctions. What this means is the UK seller has to package it up and then drop it @/or ship it one of Ebay UK's drop sites and they group things up and airfreight them over quite reasonably. So if the seller is willing to list on ebay and then you instant buy the item this would likely be your cheapest mechanism. I havent done seats but have done lhd dashes and other oversize parts.
Check it out, YMMV

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Doug! I'm going to look into this. Do you know how when the shipping is calculated using this method? Do I the buyer get a separate charge direct from ebay for the shipping after completing the buy it now?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to follow up with everyone Ebay global ship is the way to go!! Saved a boat load, and was super quick and easy for all involved! Thanks again Doug!!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Parcel2go shipped the bulkhead grommets I paid for on Wed, they got here today. That’s 2 1/2 days from Billing, UK to BFE Iowa.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Parcel2go
I would never use Parcel2go again. I shipped a rear quarter panel with them last year, they lost it, claimed they'd never picked it, found it, claimed the delivery address did not exist, and finally delivered about 4 weeks later after endless discussion with customer support.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts