Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y'all!
This is the first light I've seen in 10 years of ownership.
At 91,467 miles the Service Engine light turned on. The truck runs great, mpg still the same and no codes are present. Is it just a matter of tripping the maintainance reminder switch?
What's the purpose of this alarm?
Stock 3.9L V8
NRP exhaust
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
Yes you can just reset it

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
It think this is the "you should replace your cats" light. Just reset it.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
There is relay in the dash, you just need to remove the lower left dash price and push the button back in.
I have a thread somewhere here with pictures of it.
The CEL (check engine light is different.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Service engine light is just a timer and has nothing to do with the check engine light. Feel free to remove the relay and it will go out.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Cats do go bad we all know it, but 02 sensors are considered consumable items similar to brakes and plugs...thus it us recommended they be replaced at or about every 70 to 90 k miles. Thus the red maintenance remainder light... Totally different than check engine light...

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
What truck do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
The trigger for the timer is mileage. So the light comes on every (roughly) 90k miles.
On the '95, the Braun timer module in on the passenger footwell somewhere (I can't remember where, this is well documented in the forum and elsewhere), a paper clip to reset it.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
That's beyond my knowledge. But I don't think this is how it works. It must be based on the number of engine rotations or something like that. The speedo is mechanical on the pre-97 trucks, so the ECU can't have "mileage" information.

·
Super Moderator
13,096 Posts
That's beyond my knowledge. But I don't think this is how it works. It must be based on the number of engine rotations or something like that. The speedo is mechanical on the pre-97 trucks, so the ECU can't have "mileage" information.
There is a vehicle speed sensor inline with the speedo cable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts