Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had to replace four belts in the last two years. They won't stay tight and yesterday by beloved 1997 D90 failed to proceed. My mechanic called just now and said he's found the problem and identified it as a "harmonic balancer" or "crankshaft pulley" problem. He also said the part has been discontinued and the only place he can find one is in Hong Kong through eBay. Wanting to get my boy back on the road, I authorized him to order the part. I checked Rover's North and couldn't find it on their website. So my question to you experts out there, can a serpentine belt cause battery failure/loss of power? It was so dead I couldn't even get my key out of the ignition. I had noticed a strange clicking sound in the week prior to this happening. It almost sounded like the turn signal was on, but it wasn't. Was that telling me I was loosing power? Thanks for any advice you can give as I sit and wait until Feb. 26th when the part should be arriving.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
if the belt's loose that alternator won't run and won't charge the battery.

As for the pulley, several suppliers are saying the the original part (ERR4922) is superceded by part # ERR7373, which is the pulley without the damper, as used in the 3.9 liter engine.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
early gems 4.0 and 4.6 serpentine harmonics will work on the 3.9. you will have to transfer/copy the timing marks out of the old pulley by means of a die stamp (any good shop should have a set). as the gems pullies don't have them.
another option would have been used, There are vendors whom may have some in stock. for instance just over 6 months ago I procured a replacement for 95 4.2 from Paul Grant. land rover direct, Bearmach and a few other UK vendors advertise to carry your part. a quick search on ebay shows a few as well.
final option is to revulcanize/rebuild your existing failed unit, there are local places whom perform said service. your mechanic should be aware of said places, sometimes local parts salesman can steer you to them.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
where are you getting the belt and do you know the part number?

95 disco and range rover use a slightly longer belt due to a different alternator pulley. It sounds like you might be getting the wrong belt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts