Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!
I have been on an excellent roadtrip in my newly restored 1975 Light Weight, having run over 600 miles from Dallas, TX, to Roswell, NM.
The transmission and gearbox have been smooth and quiet the whole way.
This morning, however, as I was leaving the house in first gear, I heard a very loud THUNK.
Now there is no power to the rear wheels, and the hand break doesn't hold.
When I switch to 4 wheel drive, have power to front wheels and hand break works properly.
I would guess that many out there have had this happen, so any advice will give me a head start to fixing the problem.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the shaft itself seems solid, and so do the U joints. will take another look, but suspect its something in the gearbox.
any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
Rear halfshaft broken

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Rear half shaft, you have to take off the outer drive flange and pull out the inner axle. Do both sides, then take out the differential and get the broken bit out of it. Clean out the diff housing and put it back in then slide in the replacement axles. You do carry replacement axles don't you......

If you drive it in font wheel drive you risk damaging your rear diff with all the bits which may be floating around in there. If that is your only option remove both half shafts and the rear prop shaft to minimize the diff turning.

·
Administrator
11,723 Posts
The short side usually goes first. Pull that one and see. If you are lucky you can pull the broken part out with a magnet on a stick, and if it's a clean break just stick in another.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Gents,
Now I know what to look for online....any suggestions?
Since this is a 1975 Light Weight and more narrow than normal Series III, would the axles have to be specific to Light Weights?

·
Registered
465 Posts
the shafts are the same as normal series II-III shafts, the lightweights do have different drive flanges, but that won't be an issue here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to the Gents at John Craddock's, the half shafts are specific to the Air Portable. But thankfully, still reasonably priced and in stock! I am pressed for time so have ordered the parts before taking the axle apart, so will hope for the best.
Will let y'all know how it turns out.

thanks again

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi SeaCowboy, Rovers North should have the correct rear half shafts that are specific to the lightweight -- in case shipping from England is cost prohibitive or not timely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts