Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

Just purchased my first Series 3, and am loving it! I do have a bit of a leak, from what I think is between the Galvanized drip rail, and riveted on aluminum roof... Read a few places that suggest using self leveling seam sealer... I've heard about 'Tiger Seal' and 'Sikaflex' as a couple options. Was wondering if you all had any advice?

thanks!
-Sean

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
umbrella?

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I have a similar issue on my SIIA 109. Over the winter when I break it down for an engine transplant I am going to use a role plumbers putty on metal to metal contacts on my top where the the existing gaskets or additional gaskets don't or won't meet. There is some other term that folks use the same type of material for...monkey puddy or something like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The issue is the joint between the steel gutter, aluminum roof, and stretched rivets. You can try seam sealer, but ultimately you'll need to separate the gutter from the roof. Clean and prep them both really well, then use a strong adhesive/sealant when you re-rivet. I used about 170 rivets on a 109 roof, and sealed with 3M 5200. Been fine ever since...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Everyone!

Tom... with the 3M 5200, you used it between the Galvanized and Aluminum before you riveted...Did you also put a layer on top of the rivets from the outside afterwards?

thanks again everyone for the advice!
-Sean

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sean,

My roof had about 1/4-inch of "stuff" built-up between the roof and gutter channel form PO attempts to seal it. I disassembled everything and cleaned it. I drilled the holes out to 3/16 (one size up form the factory rivets) and ordered a few hundred semi-tubular rivets - I'll have to look and get the correct length for you.

Back to your question, yes, I used the 5200 between the aluminum roof and galvanized gutter, then re-riveted before it set. It is a messy process, and you'll never get that stuff off clothing, but I was able to do this all by myself. Afterward I used a paintable seam sealer in the actual gutter channel.

Tom P.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts