Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently broke my series 3 back right half shaft, I found the part to replace it and a couple of guides online, but I was wondering if it was necessary to buy and other parts besides just a new half shaft.

·
Super Moderator
13,535 Posts
You should probably replace both at the same time and get a second set to carry as spares. There is nothing else that needs to be changed. Inspect the drive flanges for wear.

Ashcroft is selling a limited run of real shafts, if you feel spendy, but you should put in a proper differential and ring and pinion with them. Ashcroft Transmissions

Have you removed the broken shaft yet? Best to do that first. Sometimes you need to pull the diff. No guides required. Undo drive flange bolts and remove shaft.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should probably replace both at the same time and get a second set to carry as spares. There is nothing else that needs to be changed. Inspect the drive flanges for wear.

Ashcroft is selling a limited run of real shafts, if you feel spendy, but you should put in a proper differential and ring and pinion with them. Ashcroft Transmissions

Have you removed the broken shaft yet? Best to do that first. Sometimes you need to pull the diff. No guides required. Undo drive flange bolts and remove shaft.
Yeah, I removed the back right and left shafts and found the back right one was broken at the diff side, but i also want to check the front right because my 4WD doesn't work either, and I seem to be having a lot of trouble pulling the shaft out. Any suggestions for what that could be?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link but I have a Santana and 10 spline shafts.
and I think the Santana has different sizes.

·
Super Moderator
13,535 Posts
Thanks for the link but I have a Santana and 10 spline shafts.
and I think the Santana has different sizes.
Ah. Then you should probably not make a thread asking for advice on a Series 3 in the Series forum. I know nothing about Santanas.

Reactions: Z.G

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah. Then you should probably not make a thread asking for advice on a Series 3 in the Series forum. I know nothing about Santanas.
Well, most things are identical, there are some small changes here and there, but do you know why i would have trouble getting the front axle off, maybe something with the 4WD?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Replace the drive flanges as well. I broke a shaft in, 2005, flange went in 2008. Flanges are cheap and I would've rather paid the $12 than screw around for 3 weeks, pulling the rear diff, and spending 12 hours of my time trying to figure out it was a drive flange that takes 15 minutes to swap.

Also when a flange goes, it makes THE EXACT same sound as a shaft breaking. So it could be a flange, could be a shaft, could be a diff. Who knows!!!

Other side went 5 years later. So yeah, do one side, do the other. Or do it later. Whichever you fancy.

While you are digging in there, if the wheel bearings are questionable, you are stripped down to that point as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replace the drive flanges as well. I broke a shaft in, 2005, flange went in 2008. Flanges are cheap and I would've rather paid the $12 than screw around for 3 weeks, pulling the rear diff, and spending 12 hours of my time trying to figure out it was a drive flange that takes 15 minutes to swap.

Also when a flange goes, it makes THE EXACT same sound as a shaft breaking. So it could be a flange, could be a shaft, could be a diff. Who knows!!!

Other side went 5 years later. So yeah, do one side, do the other. Or do it later. Whichever you fancy.

While you are digging in there, if the wheel bearings are questionable, you are stripped down to that point as well.
If the flanges break does it make it more difficult to remove the shaft?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay that what I thought.

still not sure what's up with the front axle though, maybe I just need to pull on it harder, but I don't want anything to break.

·
Super Moderator
13,535 Posts
Post a photo of the axle and where you are in the disassembly. I know you believe it is just like a Series Land Rover (except the parts are different)...but maybe it is not or maybe you are doing something that is not obvious.

·
Super Moderator
13,535 Posts
You need to remove the free wheeling hubs, the wheel hubs and the stub axles. You can then withdraw the halfshafts and u-joints from the differential.

It is probably a good time to download a workshop manual.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts