Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Tip #1. Don't call it a defender because it's not #2 frame and firewall condition are critical to value. Wings are easy to change the former are not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tip #1. Don't call it a defender because it's not #2 frame and firewall condition are critical to value. Wings are easy to change the former are not.
Thanks for the reply, as you can tell I’m really not sure of what it is.... I acquired it years ago and it’s been sitting in my shop taking up space and now I’m trying to figure out what I should do as far as putting money into it to fix it up or if it’s more or less a parts vehicle at this point. What specifically should I be looking for on the firewall and frame?

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
No worries. As it says on your VIN plate it's a Series IIA. Rusted frames and firewalls and or bad patches and repairs are big issues on these vehicles. This site gunsandrovers.com is an excellent resource for series trucks. If the frame and firewall are solid its not a parts vehicle. swap the front fenders (wings) out and you could get some decent money out of it. does it run?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll be glad to help as well; I just went through the search/acquisition of a 2a project (which turned out to be an unmolested driver) and can help. Feel free to PM me your number so you can text me some photos and answer questions.

·
Registered
172 Posts
OP asks for a value. I would say that is very dependent on location.

$500 - $1,500 as a parts truck with no paperwork (If the tires on it are new (which they look to be because of the stickers maybe a bit more)).

Maybe a little more with Paperwork...

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
OP asks for a value. I would say that is very dependent on location.

$500 - $1,500 as a parts truck with no paperwork (If the tires on it are new (which they look to be because of the stickers maybe a bit more)).

Maybe a little more with Paperwork...
What paperwork? this could be sold in a number of states with just a bill of sale and be registered without issue. But you bring up a good point. where are you located?

·
Registered
172 Posts
What paperwork? this could be sold in a number of states with just a bill of sale and be registered without issue. But you bring up a good point. where are you located?
I agree with you. Paperwork does open the pool of buyers up though and usually does bring more money.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
No way I would replace fenders. A good aluminum guy can easily bring those back and keep the look even.

Even without paperwork in ca you can easily get it retitled in CA. If it’s solid and the fenders fixed, and you get it to just run I bet you can get 5 to 8k for it.

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
No way I would replace fenders. A good aluminum guy can easily bring those back and keep the look even.

Even without paperwork in ca you can easily get it retitled in CA. If it’s solid and the fenders fixed, and you get it to just run I bet you can get 5 to 8k for it.
I agree it would be great to keep even patina but idi like to meet the aluminum guy that can straighten that passenger wing.. looks like a piece of crumpled newspaper.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
If you decide to sell, look at gunsandrovers.com for more buyers.

Cannot see the plate, so not sure where you are looking at. I am going to assume as I see surface rust the frame will need attention which means the bulkhead will as well. Thihas been sitting for years so will need to be brought back to life, engine and hydraulics.

The front wings are getting more and more expensive, was there any frame damage?

I am going to say not knowing the above 1500 to 3k depending on the location (Ease of buyer to remove, the features and "completeness" of the rig, and does the frame need to be repaired or replaced. If the bulkhead needs major work then maybe less.

The more I look at the front end damage, the lower my expectation would be. Missing windscreen, rust on bonnet frame and breakfast rust.

All can be addressed, but this is a full restore candidate. This is not a work on here and there while it runs.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
If it is OR Pangolin 4x4 may be interested in it for parts or if you have deep pockets they can make it better than showroom.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I agree it would be great to keep even patina but idi like to meet the aluminum guy that can straighten that passenger wing.. looks like a piece of crumpled newspaper.
I’ve seen worse fixed.

Surface rust on these means nothing. If it’s in Oregon it’s probably solid.

I would put it on BAT.

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
You have not provided enough information. Is the chassis solid (straight and rust free)? Is the bulkhead solid? What condition are the mechanicals?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve seen worse fixed.

Surface rust on these means nothing. If it’s in Oregon it’s probably solid.

I would put it on BAT.
It was an eastern Oregon vehicle, sold there new and used as a four wheeler of sorts until the early 90s

1 - 20 of 22 Posts