Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pondering putting the sedimenter back into my truck, which was removed when I did a dual tank setup. Anywho, it has those same goofy tube/flare fittings with the nylon tube heat fit over the metal tube.

I did a brief internet search but could not see anything as to what the actual fitting on the sedimenter is. I pulled one off and it is a 1/2-20 thread with a female flare inside. That seems to match up exactly with a 5/16" SAE flare. 5/16" is an oddball size, so I would need to go to a speciality fitting place to get one to try.

Before I waste any more time looking into it, I thought I would ask if anyone ha already done the checking into this. If it is SAE, it would be easy to get an adapter to a more normal fitting size.

·
Super Moderator
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see JIC is the same thread as well. But that seems less likely.

·
Super Moderator
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The flare inside the lift pump does appear to be 45 degrees as best as I can measure, so I will give an SAE fitting a try.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I used the 1/2 20 with a barb...went to clear from there. Yes...it takes some heat and time...but makes for a clean install and IF there is a leak...easy to find. After heating and attaching tube to barb fitting used fuel injection hose clamps...works very well....and angles are not an issue....

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
If it's Lucas CAV I can dig out my CAV catalogs and see what I can find.

FWIW I took out all the CAV filter bits and went with a Racor setup.

·
Super Moderator
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what it is worth, I do clearly understand how the stock fittings work and how to use them. I do also know of all the aftermarket options for a sedimenter replacements.

The point of this thread was to determine the type of fittings used in the genuine sedimenter and lift pumps. I'll pick up and test an 5/16 SAE 45 degree flare fitting in a couple of week after my holidays and update this as it appears nobody else has already looked into it.

·
Premium Member
10,296 Posts
I use a 1/2 20 genuine all metal fitting with a copper washer, then use rubber fuel line.

The original had a plastic looking olive connection (going on memory), but anyway, I have a drawer packed full of that stuff if you need any.

·
Super Moderator
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Forgot to get back to this one. I picked up the -5 SAE Flare adapters and they do fit and seal, although I'm not sure that is the intended fitting. As per Robert's suggestion, I also picked up some plain fittings and used copper washers to seal and went ahead with that route.

I used -5 ORB x 1/4" FNPT adapters. Removed the o-rings from the ORB end and used copper washers. This works with both the sedimenter and the lift pump. This seemed a good fit. With the 1/4" NPT, you can then use hose barbs and hose, or compression fittings and tube or flare fittings and all of those are available at any hardware store in the plumbing section, which was the main goal. I've used 3/8" nylon tubing, similar to stock and brass compression fittings.

The hardest part is first getting the -5 adapters as it is an odd size and most places don't carry it and jump from -4 to -6.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,296 Posts
Looks good.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
I love the idea of writing the date on the filter.
I always write the date/miles/oil on my filter in case I forget to put it in my book.:rolleyes

I also started doing it on hoses with a silver Sharpie.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Jon can you be more specific on the fitting used on the stock lift pump? I cant seem to find or have ever heard of -5orb or Sae flare fittings.

Im still trying to figure out of SS braided lines and earls/russell's fittings is worthwhile

is 1/2x20 inverted flare the ticket?

EDIT: back from the dead

1 - 13 of 13 Posts