Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
When was it's last good tune up? Some fresh oil, new spark plugs/wires/cap and rotor will do a lot of good.

I have used Seafoam and it works well. Do the seafoam and then do a tune-up.

·
Premium Member
8,027 Posts
When was it's last good tune up? Some fresh oil, new spark plugs/wires/cap and rotor will do a lot of good. I have used Seafoam and it works well. Do the seafoam and then do a tune-up.
IMO, One shot of seafoam will probably not do magical things but a proper tune and clean fluids should give you a shot. Years of dirty fluids can not be reversed with seafoam alone. It's like asking a hotel maid to come in to your frat house on Monday with a paper towel and a can of pledge and expecting measurable results.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Could be your cats and or the flame trap causing the high carbon levels. Also make sure to rev your engine at 2000 rpms when your waiting in line that will help heat up the cats to lower the carbon levels.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I have all fresh and clean fluids in it and it runs very strong seemingly well. I don't think it needs a tune up, but we'll see.

------ Follow up post added June 14th, 2015 02:00 PM ------

Oh and it has new plugs, cap, and rotor all in the last year.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
IMO, One shot of seafoam will probably not do magical things but a proper tune and clean fluids should give you a shot. Years of dirty fluids can not be reversed with seafoam alone. It's like asking a hotel maid to come in to your frat house on Monday with a paper towel and a can of pledge and expecting measurable results.
You must have lived in a fraternity house...lol

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Hydrocarbons (HC) or Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

Don't waste a penny on seafoam.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
A 2.6... getting an engine that they started making in '48 to pass emissions in CA is going to be a big hurdle. Good luck. Does it have the european air/exhaust injector pump setup, that would maybe help since it was designed to pass stricter western european standards (mind you in the 70s)

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I've used the Seafoam (Fuel additive one) several times, and I thinks it's helped clear out our rougher running Bronco, but I'm not sure if it'll help enough to pass a smog test. That said, I think it's one of the only fuel additives that actually helps a bit! I guess you can always give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hydrocarbons (HC) or Carbon Monoxide (CO)? Don't waste a penny on seafoam.
CO levels

------ Follow up post added June 22nd, 2015 10:24 AM ------

A 2.6... getting an engine that they started making in '48 to pass emissions in CA is going to be a big hurdle. Good luck. Does it have the european air/exhaust injector pump setup, that would maybe help since it was designed to pass stricter western european standards (mind you in the 70s)
Yeah there is no chance this engine would pass alone, but with the LPG conversion it burns a lot cleaner. Just not clean enough apparently

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.