Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a few more photos.. Ok so just a couple thousand more questions. Am I correct that the door panels and the 2 barrel Intake is not part of my 88..What about the black plastic cover next to the sifter housing? The numbers on the block do they mean anything or is it just a casting number? 1710-02

Thank you guys..

Scotty

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
The black plastic cover and the V-style inlet manifold are for other vehicles, not this one...

Reactions: Scotty

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Panels appear to be either homemade or something, not that uncommon lots of people do it. Two barrel are good carbs, cant remember off the top of my head if some came with them or not from the factory or if they were a dealership install type of thing.

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
Factory never installed a 2 barrel on a series, but they did come later on the 2.25 and 2.5 in the 90 and 110 Defender style vehicles.
I think it was a 32/34 Weber.

There were loads of aftermarket kits sold to mount a 32/36 Weber onto a series 2.25 petrol using a custom manifold manufactured by Pierce out in CA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool I have the original carb. Im going to put it all back stock and learn all about the 88, after it's complete and I feel the pain points of it, then I'll do some mods if necessary, again thank you so much for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Also check out the Guns&Rovers forum. Ton of info and active group for series owners.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Looks like that single barrel carburetor is not original. Blurry but it looks like a Rochester "B" series carb. Good choice and common upgrade. Read about it on Terri-Ann's website. Might find some info at the lrfaq website too.

I happen to be using one right now on my 109.

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
The three words Dad's hate most on Christmas Day but love when it comes to Land Rovers:

"some assembly required"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been on the two sites the last couple of day and have learned a great deal, about the 88. I know I have the (B) suffix trans / transfer (25142891B) And I have the 225 motor. Am I correct in stating that the Color, Motor & Trans are not recognized as numbers matching on the series. There's nothing to Vin numbers..

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So how far can we take a rebuild on one of these 88's and still be able to call it original, In case I wish to sell it later on? Is it, just make it appealing? Or is original, how it left the factory?

look forward to your input.

Thank you

Scotty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts