Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around and I see a lot of opinions but nothing definitive and nothing in one place...

So can someone educate me on jerry cans? Seems like there are metal NATO cans, Plastic jerry cans, plastic no name gas cans from home depot...

Some aren't legal in the US, and some aren't legal in the PRK.

Does any of this actually matter? I realize metal cans are prone to rust.

then there is the price gap between, say what you find in a hardware store and the rotopax...

Just trying to get it all sorted out without buying twice.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
So start with this question; what's the intended application? You crossing the Sahara as part of the LRDG? (Use captured German Jerry Cans) or looking to store some chainsaw fuel internally (Use rotopax).

Intended purpose should drive acquisition, but by and large you can't got wrong with Milspec Scepter fuel containers for larger quantities designed to extend range or if for smaller applications, unique mounting, etc Rotopax are worth the cost.

That's without diving into the CARB spout nonsense and such.
r-
Ray

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So start with this question; what's the intended application? You crossing the Sahara as part of the LRDG? (Use captured German Jerry Cans) or looking to store some chainsaw fuel internally (Use rotopax).

Intended purpose should drive acquisition, but by and large you can't got wrong with Milspec Scepter fuel containers for larger quantities designed to extend range or if for smaller applications, unique mounting, etc Rotopax are worth the cost.

r-
Ray

Thanks Ray.

This would be to extend range when in national forests and parks... Not because gass stations are out of reach but because it's a pain to go into town to fuel up.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
If you are looking for range you want the 5 gal size, perhaps a few of them while acknowledging that you probably don't want them inside your SW so you should look to mount them on the rear (also adding weight) or the roof (weight, and the awesomeness of hoisting fuel overhead). Personal opinion and experience there lends to the Scepter stuff, others may chime in but I figure if its good enough for my HMMWV and LAVs it is probably good enough for what we do for fun. Not to mention they don't rust.

Metal cans are a wide spectrum of quality and I don't know enough there other than my last one was good for putting gas in the lawn mower.

Based off where you mount you may want to also consider fuel transfer, i.e. do you source a spout (CARB legal ironically= makes sure you spill) or find a fuel transfer pump solution like the flo and go.

Hope that helps a little.
r-
Ray

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
If you want some emergency gas to get you out of a pinch buy tye mil spec 5 or 10 litre. The 20 litre is a pain to carry, lift etc... consider getting an auxiliary fuel tank. Carb spec only means that a non spec can is illegal to sell, not to own!

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I like the NATO cans for two reasons.
1. They never leak.
2. You don't need a fuel spout to empty them in to a Series Rover.

I use a two liter NATO can for my chainsaw mix.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I have 2 nato metal cans that I bought new and have been nothing but trouble as far as leaks go. (constantly replacing the seals). I am on to the sceptors now, so far so good...

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I have 8 scepter plastic 5 gallons. They're chea as chips around here (Canadian army). Never leaks, hard as nail and easy to poor in a military land-rover without the spout. Having a spout is better and for 20cdn$ (new) is no dilemma.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Purchased used Septier and metal NATO cans here on the threads and both work fine. I prefer the opening of the metal can for pouring. Better control. These two H2O cans were the pair for $47 shipped deal a few weeks ago. Will worry about spouts for the plastic cans later. Lav usually sells his scraps to me. :)
Said to be a French WWII officer's wine can (or so the forum seller claimed). It does its job too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I have used scepter cans on GMVs, RGs, and defenders throughout the world. Zero issues through roll overs, IED strikes, and other events. The screw on spout works great.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Saw an unmentioned LR friend completely roll his D1 with 2 Nato cans on the roof. Neither one leaked though bent up. I've had 4 of the Nato cans for over 12 years now, original seals and have never leaked a drop, though I have spare seals on hand. You can't even smell what's inside.

As for pouring, I use the clamp-on can nozzle & a modified transmission funnel trimmed back on both ends. Works great on the D90.

Now just to make them OSHA & EPA spec so the kids can't keep drinking all the gas from them as we know how yummy gasoline tastes :)

·
Premium Member
7,155 Posts
Scepter cans take a standard male plastic plumbing fitting you can make a spout from PVC parts. I use a hose barb and a length of rubber hose. Less than $10 for a nice spout.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts

r-
Ray
To build on Ray's answer, CARB compliant plastic Jerry cans that don't have a vent are absolute crap, 100% of them. Plan on leaking 10% of all poured fuel. Somehow that is more environmentally friendly than a vent and an actual seal on the spout.

----

I found a czech military (NATO?) 10L one from a Military surplus store for $10 about 10 years ago, uses standard NATO gaskets and NEVER leaks. That could be a good source for the good ones at a great price.....if you can find them.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I'm in the process of replacing my steel cans for Scepter MFC. Many spout options are available. I got the 1 1/4" flexible spout that is supposed to empty a 5 gallon can in under a minute.

I have 8 of the Scepter MWC (water cans) and I love them. Beau Johnston at Living Overland makes a really nice little electric faucet that is installed in the Scepter lid and that can be moved over when the can I empty.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts