Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as I contributed in a past santana thread, every now and then someone suggests upgrading the N/A
12j in the santana with 200 or 300 tdi.

I have done it, you will need to source steve parker's conversion kit. it uses same frame location points thus setting engine back against firewall.

the engine bell housing gets a couple of holes relocated and tapped to fit the lt 77 bolt pattern.

the alternator gets relocated to a/c bracket, other wise it rubs against steering shaft.

P/S pump and hose kit from serpentine belted disco1 or RRc will do the trick.

cooling, you may use a 200 tdi long cowling with a bit of custom for a "factory" look or go custom electric fan.

suspension lift, parabolic series leaf springs will not be a direct fit. your best bet would be a local truck suspension and spring shop, in northern Va. we have Chantilly spring.

Normally these shops will be able to fabricate a custom spring set up.

rear mounted Fuel tank, that of a series will fit, santana uses front and rear sway bars, using series fuel tank you loose ability to install and or use rear sway bar.

front disc brakes and components are straight out of Iveco massif truck, rear brake cylinders are hit and miss, they need to be matched by part number based on model.

parts procurement. I have used stanfi, they have website and speak multiple languages but their
online catalog is listed in Spanish. use google translator, it helps.

seats and seat belts, almost bespoke.

interior and body, some mix and match. of course any series replacement instruments will have English print, if you want original Spanish print visit stanfi.

best of luck.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Excellent post.
In time there will be many more posts like this that help Santana owners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have a manual for an 85 Santana 90 Deisel Super Turbo? I'm looking a manual for the 75 horsepower ¨11J¨ motor which is a 2.25L 4 cylinder turbo diesel with a 5 speed LT85 “Spanish Box”.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone have a manual for an 85 Santana 90 Deisel Super Turbo? I'm looking a manual for the 75 horsepower ¨11J¨ motor which is a 2.25L 4 cylinder turbo diesel with a 5 speed LT85 “Spanish Box”.
Hello, I think there is no specific workshop docs for this model. I own one. I will look for it just in case. This engine has particularities as timing belt, diferent injection pump and so on... you will have spare parts for almost all except exhaust systems, green hose from turbo to intake manifolds or rear proposhaft. This engine if well maintained is very strong. Lt85 has bad reputation in Spain because bad maintenance, people used to fill with sae90, but if well maintained is very reliable too, as far as I remember there is some problem to found some bearings time ago, but now maybe solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this forum. I have a 1978, 88 series lll which has been completely restored from frame up. The vast majority of parts came from RN with no fit issues whatsoever. I have the original 2.25 Diesel engine should anyone be interested. It ran just fine before I replaced it with a 78 rebuilt gas engine. Happy to post pics if anyone is interested. Also happy to share my restoration experience again should anyone be interested. Great to find a forum for Santana’s.

·
Registered
423 Posts
New to this forum. I have a 1978, 88 series lll which has been completely restored from frame up. The vast majority of parts came from RN with no fit issues whatsoever. I have the original 2.25 Diesel engine should anyone be interested. It ran just fine before I replaced it with a 78 rebuilt gas engine. Happy to post pics if anyone is interested. Also happy to share my restoration experience again should anyone be interested. Great to find a forum for Santana’s.
I would like to see the photos.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
New to this forum. I have a 1978, 88 series lll which has been completely restored from frame up. The vast majority of parts ... Great to find a forum for Santana’s.
Welcome aboard.
Post up some pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to see the photo's as well! I've had numerous fit issues with my '83 109 2.25 Diesel. The Oil Sump gasket was even off by a few mm, and that shouldn't be possible. I also had some bizarre bracket blocking 1-2 bolts from the sump. Drove me crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts