Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a hard top off a 71 series 2a Santana fit on a regular LR series? Are there any incompatibilities? So far I noticed an extra lip in the front and no 3rd hinge for the rear door.

Is anyone familiar with the Santana tops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the real question is: is anyone familiar with the Santana Tops?
Santana made a lot of different tops and not 100% sure where the breaks in style was, but after so many years, there is the possibility that the top was swapped with a different year.
Many of the Santana tops were straight across the back without the raised curve along the back bottom edge for the door.
Others had the curve.
Santana's are very different from a British Solihull built Land Rover, even in 1971.
All the bolt down holes could be in different locations requiring re-drilling the mounting holes which is not trivial.
Real series tops are typically more plentiful, so why run the no fit risk with a Santana top?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the real question is: is anyone familiar with the Santana Tops?
Santana made a lot of different tops and not 100% sure where the breaks in style was, but after so many years, there is the possibility that the top was swapped with a different year.
Many of the Santana tops were straight across the back without the raised curve along the back bottom edge for the door.
Others had the curve.
Santana's are very different from a British Solihull built Land Rover, even in 1971.
All the bolt down holes could be in different locations requiring re-drilling the mounting holes which is not trivial.
Real series tops are typically more plentiful, so why run the no fit risk with a Santana top?
realized it after the fact. trying to figure out if its usable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The crazy thing is that people who pay no attention to detail will put out videos and make incorrect statements saying the Santana is the same or that it may be a little different, but it's basically the same which is completely incorrect.
I've had a Santana Series III in the shop and if you park one next to a made in England, Solihull Series III they are completely different down to the door latches, window locks, dash bulkhead and so on. Even the accelerator linkage is different. The seats are different. You can't take a Santana Dash and bolt it onto a Solihull bulkhead because the bulkheads are different.

You can't teach someone something they think they already know and in this case the people saying the Santana is the same or so close it doesn't matter are completely wrong. It does matter and they are not the same.
The only Land Rovers built in Spain that were the same as the Solihull built in England vehicles were actually not built in Spain, but CKD vehicles built in England and assembled in Spain.

It was a wise choice to ask about the top swap before plunging into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts