Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to purchase a sample piece of something painted in sandglow 361? under $50 would be nice. I found touch up paint on rimmer but they won't ship it to the us. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,462 Posts
Where is the best place to purchase a sample piece of something painted in sandglow 361? under $50 would be nice. I found touch up paint on rimmer but they won't ship it to the us. Thanks
Special vehicles painted Sandglow over Bahama Beige. If you paint something with just Sandglow you dont get quite the original effect.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Any paintshop should be able to mix you a small paint bomb (spray can). Any self-respecting old school paint shop will actually have a swatch.
Any shop that doesn't do either of these things should not be trusted.

Or you can order a touch up kit from LRDirect in UK and they should be able to ship it to you as usual. (P/N STC1489VT):
https://www.lrdirect.com/STC1489VT-Touch-Up-Paint-Un1263/?keep_https=yes

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Special vehicles painted Sandglow over Bahama Beige. If you paint something with just Sandglow you dont get quite the original effect.
So does the touch up paint account for the base of bahama? I am really just looking to get something that is the actual final color and then have it matched.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I wish you wouldn't have said that. I have a Stewart & Stevenson that will be going in Sand Glow. Hopefully the sanded back CARC tan will be a good base.
Blair

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Let me know when you get it, it's probably time to stop by and see your progress anyway. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. I think I am going with Trident Green on the Tithonus and sandglow on the LR3. I am picking up a rear seat for in the bed tomorrow and need to figure out the best way to install that. Been clearing land and making trails. Definitely stop by soon.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know where I can get some RTC4047VA in the USA? It is a Trident Green Aerosol can. UK companies won't ship paint. Looking to make a sample to match.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Anyone know where I can get some RTC4047VA in the USA? It is a Trident Green Aerosol can. UK companies won't ship paint. Looking to make a sample to match.
Just ask the paint shop make you a can of Land Rover 325. That’s LR paint code for Trident Green.

·
Premium Member
13,462 Posts
Look up Preval Sprayer.
You can buy them @ Lowe's etc. Allows you to mix up a small batch of most anything and spray it like A spray can. Having used the factory trident green spray cans you seek they pretty much suck.
The paint is a lacquer based and oxidized off very quickly.
Acrylic Enamel and hardener and thinner mixed on site and applied with a preval sprayer is a far better solution

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it. Yes, the cans pretty much suck, especially if they are old.

The problem I am having is finding an auto paint shop that will mix something I can roll, or spray on. They only seem to want to mix paint that gets a clear coat. The industrial shops that will mix a DTM color, have no access to the auto paint codes.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Too bad it's getting tougher and tougher to find shops that do urethane-based single stages (at least in Canada due to government's low VOC jihad).
These are now limited to fleet shops only that are booked years ahead of time. I've had cars painted with industrial urethane SS and you could have chicks dancing on it in their high heels without so much as a scratch.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got it. Yes, the cans pretty much suck, especially if they are old.

The problem I am having is finding an auto paint shop that will mix something I can roll, or spray on. They only seem to want to mix paint that gets a clear coat. The industrial shops that will mix a DTM color, have no access to the auto paint codes.
Automotive Art offers a 2K SS Urethane called Motocryl 50 that can be brush applied with their 30-62 slow hardener. I've had it matched to LR paint codes before. It's relatively affordable and high quality compared to offerings from PPG, for example.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How many quarts of the Motocryl do you think I need for a truck, inside and out?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Depends on truck size, type, and how many coats. I'd show a pic of your truck to the paint dealer and go off their feedback. Better to have a little too much, than too little.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the place that told me NO this morning, is a distributor for Motocryl. Called them back and now they suddenly can help me. I guess I'll get a gallon of Motocryl to roll on and also pickup that Preval Sprayer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts