Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure my Salisbury is about to grenade any day now. It chunks, clunks, and bucks as the truck rolls to a stop. Who do you recommend in NC (prefer West of the Triangle) that can rebuild my rear diff at a reasonable price?

Thanks guys!

Bo

·
Premium Member
15,162 Posts
Probably drive flanges. I have never seen a sals wear out. Check the drive flanges first.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it be cost effective to upgrade to a locker (ARB) now that it's giving me trouble?

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Would it be cost effective to upgrade to a locker (ARB) now that it's giving me trouble?
Hey Bo, in Charlotte i can recommend Performance Rovers. I'd recommend identifying the root cause before throwing money at it. I'd hate for you to find out it was a driveshaft, Tcase or wheel bearing issue after directing axle work to be done.

I'm assuming you're talking about your rear axle, right?

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mark, I met Jason at the Spring Safari and got his business card.

I had a local shop look at it and say it needed a complete rebuild or replacement. I'd rather have a reputable Rover shop give a second opinion and do the required work.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Thanks Mark, I met Jason at the Spring Safari and got his business card.

I had a local shop look at it and say it needed a complete rebuild or replacement. I'd rather have a reputable Rover shop give a second opinion and do the required work.
I agree. To just say it needs a full rebuild without telling you how they came to that conclusion is suspect. We're talking half shafts, wheel bearings, diff and pinion. you can swap an axle out in 30 minutes if the splines on it were worn. that would be far short of a full rebuild.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm with you, Brother. I'll pull the wheels off and check the flanges and outer axle splines this weekend like Briggsy and the Ninja suggested (sounds like a pop duo).

I've always been a "hope for the best but plan for the worst" kind of guy.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
If you do have to get it rebuilt and have been wanting to upgrade to a locker, then this would definitely be the time to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts